Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Combining methods from pair programming exercise
Old
mumb96

Default Combining methods from pair programming exercise - 09-19-2008, 10:38 AM

I would like to have two students work together on a project. First they will have to design the skeleton of a program (method calls to unfinished methods). Once that has been approved by me then they can split up the methods and write a few each.

How can they combine their methods in to one class since they would be writing them on different machines?

Obnoxious solution
Old
mumb96

Unhappy Obnoxious solution - 09-24-2008, 07:43 AM

OK, right now I have one of the students save their creation as a new class. Then the other student imports that new class in to their world. Next the 2nd student has to create empty methods and then copy and paste the code from the imported instance. There's got to be a better solution...please...

Old
DrJim

Default 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumb96 View Post
There's got to be a better solution...please...
I keep hoping someone will post one (please ) - but I'm afraid this is something we'll have to wait for Alice 3.0 for.

What I usually do when I want to work on a method common to several worlds is just to keep a master and working copies of the overall setup. Since you can drag code between worlds using the clipboard (close the first world and open the second without closing Alice) if the worlds are similar enough (common objects, etc.) this approach generally guarentees the drop from the clipboard will work.

Not pretty and your approach may work better in your situation.

Tags
combine, importing, pair