Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

2.0 maintenance during 3.0 development
Old
inuwali

Default 2.0 maintenance during 3.0 development - 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM

I figure this question should be on the 3.0 FAQ, therefore it's okay to post it in this forum.

Will Alice 2.0 development continue? I'm especially concerned with bug fixes and maintenance releases. Considering that 3.0 has a 2-year development timeline, and knowing how software project estimates often translate to the real world, I figure it'll probably be January 2009 before we see 3.0. Until that point, there will be many OS, JDK and other API releases that may affect the stability of 2.0.

Good point...
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Question Good point... - 10-27-2006, 09:23 PM

That's a valid point there.... I've been having some spots of trouble myself, and I'm curious too if updates and bug fixes will come out for v 2.0 while we wait for v3. I suspect the Alice team, though, will mostly have their hands full developing the new version, so if some updates do come out, don't expect to see a whole lot...

But, that's just me...

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 11-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Alice 2.0 will not be developed any further as we are focusing all of our efforts on getting Alice 3 shipped on time. The only exception to that will be in the case of catastrophic bugs brought on by new or updated operating systems, hardware or any other widespread change.

Eh, good enough for me.
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Cool Eh, good enough for me. - 11-07-2006, 03:18 PM

Well, I guess that makes sense. I don't think I would like it if I constantly had to go back on a previous thing just to fix up minor problems if I were working on something bigger...

Thanks for your input!