Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

3D objects
Old
g-whizz

Default 3D objects - 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM

An easier way to make your own objects. More supported files like Google Sketchup - it so easy to use, but the work i've done in it is wasted because i can't import it.
Like i thought alice was created for students to learn programming and one of the few supported software is one that you have to pay alot of money for, when most students struggle to eat right, nevermind to pay for 3D imaging software. This is a recession!
________
Host And Design

Last edited by g-whizz; 05-14-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-22-2009, 09:18 AM

See my post at http://www.alice.org/community/showt...light=Sketchup and also the post I just made, http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2417 .

Everything listed in those postings is free.

Blender is about as high-end a program as you can find - though I find it difficult to use. There is a freeware version of 3D Studio Max (I can't remember the name of the program - but there is a tutorial on it in the share objects section). There was also a free version of Maya 7 available - I haven't checked recently to see whether it's still available.

Actually, having reread your posting, I do agree that it would be nice if a future version of Alice supported .kmz format inputs. For most other formats, there are so many variations that it's difficult to define a "standard" - but Google does seem to keep tight control of their format - and Sketchup is certainly popular and easy to use.

Finally, if you are a student, you should see what modeling program is being used at your school and what it takes to have access to it. I can't speak for all schools - but at least the ones locally will give you access if you have a sincere interest and are taking related courses - even if you aren't taking the (computer ) modeling course.

Last edited by DrJim; 03-22-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added Sketchup Note