Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Problem with parameters...
Old
BastaNL

Default Problem with parameters... - 07-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Hi, my teacher gave me an assignment so I can retry my alice course. only this time I have to do it in alice 3.0.

I'm making the game mastermind and whenever I try to give a value to my parameter (in the do in order box of a mouse listener) it all go's wrong. When I run the program I will get an error message saying something is wrong with line 35 of my java virtual machine.

I'm running this on a xp system.... am I doing something wrong or is there just a software bug keeping me from using variables?

(TI student, the hague, the netherlands)

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM

From my experience with the beta I could barely do anything compared to 2.2. I think there are multiple bugs that could be the root. Sorry I can't help much more.

I am surprised people are being forced to use the beta exclusively. It isn't finished. Heck 3.0.0.55 doesn't even have an undo function.

On 2.2 things like that are no problem.

Old
DrJim

Default 07-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryuhbull View Post
... I think there are multiple bugs that could be the root ... I am surprised people are being forced to use the beta exclusively. It isn't finished.
I'm equally surprised - and the CMU folks are quite frank about the fact Alice 3 is a work in progress - look at the warning message.

I have found the mouse listener to be particularly buggy (plus they doesn't seem to be exportable to NetBeans), so I'm not surprised you're having trouble.

As far as variables go, Alice 3 is much more fussy about scope and access than any 2.x version. I haven't had your problem - usually the program just won't let you do the wrong thing (or give you a hint as to what is right). Exporting to NetBeans gives you more information - if it works, but as noted above, I've never gotten that to work with a Mouse Listener.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Old
BastaNL

Default 07-11-2009, 03:48 PM

I have been able to work around the problem. It seems that whenever you do something in alice that is not good working code it just pumps out random (or specific who am i?) error messages about the java virtual machine....
could really have used a debugger . I'm almost done with the game so when i'm done i will try to upload it to the site.

you shall be surprised what you can do with a beta

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM

We know first hand that Alice 3 is not a finished product. The most recent release, .0058, now has a better bug submission tool. When it pops up after a bug, you can describe your problem and upload a copy of your open project. We look at *every* bug that gets reported through our bug database. You can also submit a bug report manually by going to the help menu and selecting "report a bug," "suggest improvement" or "request a new feature."

We take bugs very seriously, and chances of us being able to fix them go up dramatically if you attach you world to the report and provide steps on how to reproduce the bug.

Old
BastaNL

Default 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

here it is!
the final product, of my mastermind game that is.

mind that its all in dutch(but its simple enough to figure out.)
click on a square to select color. click on ball on the ground (the 4 in a row in the middle) after 4 balls click "volgende ronde" means next round.

hope you enyoy this fine example of whats already possible with alice 3
Attached Files
File Type: zip mastermind.a3p.zip (152.0 KB, 23 views)