Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Old
lanceA

Default 01-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirs View Post
Finally, the unicode version of Alice - named Mama - is ready! It is available in both English and Hebrew (soon will have it in many other languages).
I downloaded the English version and it works on a machine running Windows 7, 64-bit with 6 Gig of ram.

Where can I download the Hebrew version trial copy, I did not see an option for that on the Web site you provided.

Great work!!

Last edited by x2495iiii; 01-22-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Quote tag typo

Old
meirs

Default 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I downloaded the English version and it works on a machine running Windows 7, 64-bit with 6 Gig of ram.
You did? no problem with the installation? then I'm glad with it.

And you can find the Hebrew version here:
http://he.eytam.com/mama

Let me know if you have any difficulty,
thanks,
Meir

Old
lanceA

Default 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You did? no problem with the installation? then I'm glad with it.

And you can find the Hebrew version here:
http://he.eytam.com/mama

Let me know if you have any difficulty,
thanks,
Meir
I just created an EXE file on the Win-7 machine called Test, this created a folder called Test. I then copied the Test folder to a machine running WinXP and started to run the world. It gave me the message "Error in loading the application" but then the world started running with no problems.

Thank you for the link to the Hebrew version.

Old
lanceA

Default 01-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Is your installation program writing anything to the windows Regiatry? I only ask because I would like to run both the English and Hebrew version on a single machine for test purposes.

Thanks,

Old
meirs

Default 01-22-2010, 04:52 PM

It does, but in a per language manner, so you should have no problem installing both languages on same OS.

Old
lanceA

Default 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
It does, but in a per language manner, so you should have no problem installing both languages on same OS.
Thank you. I will install both languages.

Also I have another question: My previous post mentioned that I transported an executable world from my Win-7 machine to my Win-XP machine and that it properly ran with a minor error message that did not cause any problems. However, I note on the Win-XP machine that it created a folder on my Desktop called mama_works. Inside that folder is a single foilder, My Library which has no data inside.

I was just curious why the folder was created on the Desktop.

Thanks again and Great Work!

Last edited by lanceA; 01-22-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Normal typos

Old
lanceA

Default 01-22-2010, 07:43 PM

meirs,

So far Mama is working great! I have the English and Hebrew version running simultaneously on my Win-7 machine. How did you stop the memory leaks?

I can import Alice 2.0 worlds with no problems as long as there are no Speech bubbles or Thought bubbles in the world. Once the import process encounters one of these, the import program hangs.

I believe your fantastic efforts deserve that the Room open a new thread so we can help you 'tweak' a fantastic product. However, it would be very helpful if the x2495iiii, blah, blah'-person making models of guns and stuff that KILL could be encouraged to redirect HIS energy to more positive ideas.

I want to use this with my students, and can't go the violence route.

So far, only 16 people will not wake up tomorrow in my city, . . . but it is still early.

And thank God only 4 of them where below the age of 12!.

Fantastic work !!

Last edited by x2495iiii; 01-22-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Silly typo

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceA View Post
I can import Alice 2.0 worlds with no problems as long as there are no Speech bubbles or Thought bubbles in the world. Once the import process encounters one of these, the import program hangs.
Sounds good, wonder whats wrong with my laptop... Well, I can always give it another shot, I suppose. I was hoping to export RP as a standalone application, if possible.

(')>

Old
meirs

Default 01-23-2010, 03:55 AM

lanceA and x2495iiii, thanks for your efforts.
Sorry for the late response, here in Jerusalem we (at least I) just woke up

Regarding memory leaks - it needs lots of time and space to go through all kind of performance problems existed in Alice, but I can mention one simple problem, which can be solved easily: the infinite undo stack. With an undo mechanism that records every action of the user, the garbage collector would never be able to clean anything in you World session, since everything (objects, methods, events, lines of codes, etc.) is pointed by the undo/redo stack. Simply limiting the undo stack length solves that.

Regarding the "My Library" folder - if you right click an object, you have an option to "save to my library", so that simply acts as a user gallery. When you open the object gallery, you'll find 3 root folders in it (in addition to local and web galleries), the third being your (user) gallery. I found it very useful for reuse of my own created objects.

I'll be glad to have a Room regarding Mama - please open one (if you could). By the way, you'll find many more improvements to Alice, which I guess I'll have to find the time to document in detail.

x2495iiii - could you describe exactly what was the error message you got when installing on Windows 7? and how you manage to install it (if you did)?

I will check the import problem you mentioned and try to find a solution.

Last edited by meirs; 01-23-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-23-2010, 04:27 AM

My tale of woe:

First, I tried to install Mama to my program files folder (the default location). Both times when I tried that, it said that it was unable to open file to write [insert name of file here], then gave me three options: retry (did nothing), ignore (moved to next file, where same error message was given), and abort (cancelled installation). I then tried installing Mama to my desktop. That worked fine and I was able to use Mama, however, the world importer still did not work. After testing increasingly simple worlds, I've found that worlds with any form of interactivity do not function properly when imported (if they import successfully, as they more often simply stopped loading halfway through with an error message).

The worst part is that this also happened on my home computer, which runs Vista. This suggests that there must be some security setting or default directory or something that my computers share which is preventing this from functioning properly.

(')>