Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Very cool Nephtysis, that will help with some of our tasks. Thanks!

I may look into writing a Java program that can reverse the Alice XML files into .ase files. Don't know if it can be done but would be a nice addition by the sounds of it. Would allow for changes in object structure without having to completely re-create the models from scratch.

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-10-2010, 02:20 PM

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you export the textures of an alice object?

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
Nephtysis

Default 02-10-2010, 02:25 PM

@dragnet: that would be a very cool tool to have here, so please let me know if you have it

@zonedabone: no question is stupid Right-click on the file >> 7-zip >> extract/unpack to "FileName/".

The result is a folder that is named after the file and in it there is a subfolder called "texture" with 2 files, including the .png

PS:
If you don't use 7-zip then you should check whether winzip or whatever other program you use can do the same.

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM

Not stupid at all, as I was going to ask the same thing.

Last night I seemed to be able to unzip the a2c files and within each archive there is a folder named 'texture'. In the folder there is a .png file that you can copy and edit. I suppose from there you can open Alice, select the object your looking to modify and expand the 'Texture Map' property under the properties tab for that item. There is an option to import texture map there.

Unfortunately today when I am unzipping my a2c files all the folders within the a2c file are empty, no XML files and no texture png in the textures folder. Is there a special technique to unzip an a2c file correctly? I seemed to be able to do it last night, but now no contents are found in the subfolders when I try.

Thanks once again.

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Scratch my last post. I restarted my machine and now the a2c files are extracting properly. Go figure, got to love Windows!

Old
dragnet

Default 02-10-2010, 02:41 PM

I should clarify that the technique I listed above for unzipping modifying and then re-importing works fine, but you do have to set the 'skin texture' property to the texture file that you have just imported for the change to take place.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Well you did but i did say you could change the texture but it would take a long time. You did it so i guess it does not take a long time depending on who is doing the texture change.

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Nephtysis

Default 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM

well, assuming you have 7-zip or a program that can extract the file, it's a matter of minutes actually. Just extract, colour in the way you want and then import it in Alice to apply it. I made the above in like 3 mins and I'm not that much of an expert (yet )

Old
jediaction

Default 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM

I have winzip

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Nephtysis

Default 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

hmm, can't you extract a2c files with that at all?