Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Old
Morpheo69

Default 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Hello everybody,

We have been reading your posts about our job, we are not going to sell anything, we won't get any profits from Alice neither from the book. We would like to distributed the guide on www.lulu.com and we won't get any money for it, anyway if you want to get a printed edition of it you will have to pay to lulu and amazon for the distribution and edittion costs but not for author's royalties. You can also get the electronic version of the guide in pdf format in www.lulu.com without any cost, that's why we have choose this site to work with.

Our purpose is to give to the spanish speakers students a chance to know Alice and to get interested on computers studies, as is happening in USA. We have internacionalized the code and localized it into spanish so the language won't be a handicap for the youngest students who doesn't feel too comfortable with english.

Despite we can use other images, we really would like to use the original images in our guide and the images' packet of the original game.

If Alice Team needs to have a version of our job we can send it to them, as far as they contact us. It's being very interesting for us to work in Alice, a project made by Carnegie Mellon University.

Old
Ayyamana

Default 01-09-2010, 01:37 PM

I question the need for such a program.

Alice is used to teach oo programming, java especially. Java itself is in English, or at least the reserved words are, making the Spanish student still have to write in English if they want to program.

Then again, you can use Alice as a game... In which case would make it effective.

In any case, Im sleepy so I will take a short nap.

Old
Morpheo69

Default 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Hi, as Alice is oriented to teach chidren, we want to transmit them the oriented to object thinking, not the language either java or english just the metodology.

Old
Ayyamana

Default 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I see, I still view Alice as a toy though.

Old
jediaction

Default 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Well when you asked if i spoke spanish better than english, no i know a little bit of spanish and my mom is from argentina, so i would have to know some spanish

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Morpheo69

Default 01-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Hello,
The tutorials of Alice are just text files, we have opened this files dragging and dropping them on NetBeans then we have translated them to spanish and save them instead of the original.

We will post soon some images of the interface of Alice in spanish so you can see our job and check how finally we did the i18n, l10n.

We are waiting for you to know if we can use the images of Alice so we can publish the guide in Spanish.

Thank you in advanced.

Interest in translations
Old
martina-r

Thumbs up Interest in translations - 01-18-2010, 03:07 AM

Hi Morpheo,
I'm teaching children to work with Alice in Germany, eagerly looking for informations about translations.
As you said: we want to teach children to program, to work with Alice, and not to read (i. e. tutorials) English explanations.
You're giving me hope, that there are ways to work with Alice in other languages. By now, I'm only translating texts (Online-tutorial by Dick Baldwin), but maybe my connections to students may be used to translate der program itself.
So please let me know about you work and the outcome of this discussion

Martina

Last edited by martina-r; 01-18-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: forgotten name

Old
Morpheo69

Default 01-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Please contact with me: morpheo1000 at gmail.com

Hope
Old
dmitchell

Default Hope - 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM

hey let me now if you were able to make alica and name it that if so i will do a translation to french. i just wanna know if it is legal realisticly

Last edited by dmitchell; 02-01-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: forgot language

Old
Morpheo69

Default 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM

of course, but i´m still waiting....