Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Anyone got a drum set
Old
Veryuhbull

Question Anyone got a drum set - 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM

As in a full drum set.
EDIT:
I mean "many drums and symbols including a bass drums some toms a crash symbol and a highhat symbol with a kick pedal"

Last edited by Veryuhbull; 07-11-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: I thought people knew what a full drum kit was.

Old
dubastot

Default 07-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Theres one in the objects/ instruments section.

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubastot View Post
Theres one in the objects/ instruments section.
No there is not. That is why I asked. Please refrain from answering wrongly or answering uselessly.

Old
DrJim

Default 07-11-2009, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryuhbull View Post
No there is not. That is why I asked. Please refrain from answering wrongly or answering uselessly.
There are certainly enough drums in the gallery that your rude comment was really inappropriate, especially since your initial question was very vague.

However, for what you are probably looking for, see http://www.3dxtras.com/3dxtras-free-...ls.asp?prodid=. Download the Lightwave (.lwo) model, since Biturn can handle that. (Also, I haven't actually tried this model myself.)

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-11-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
There are certainly enough drums in the gallery that your rude comment was really inappropriate, especially since your initial question was very vague.

However, for what you are probably looking for, see http://www.3dxtras.com/3dxtras-free-...ls.asp?prodid=. Download the Lightwave (.lwo) model, since Biturn can handle that. (Also, I haven't actually tried this model myself.)
I apologize to dubashot if he found it offensive. I wasn't trying to be rude. When I wrote it I had no anger behind it.

I simply supposed that other people understood that a full drum set translated to "many drums and symbols including a bass drums some toms a crash cymbal and a highhat cymbal with a kick pedal" I guess never assume anything.

In the music category the drums don't really have the westen look I want. (Alice has cuban and indian) Not to mention no cymbals.

I'll check out that website. Your link showed up a sofa set... But I found a cool drum kit on that site. But i have no experiance bringing models into alice. I don't have any add on software either.

Also Duba has answered in topics after someone gave a full answer and he posted some small thing I already said or is pointless.

See:
prime examples:
http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2843
http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2837
minor examples:
http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=2800
http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=416 (lots of useless in here not to mention old)

Last edited by Veryuhbull; 07-11-2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typos

Old
DrJim

Default 07-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veryuhbull View Post
I guess never assume anything.
If you learned that, the exchange was valuable.

Personally, I've never really figured out what a "full" drum set consisted of - but with my sense of rhythm, that's probably a good thing.

As for bringing models into Alice, there is a program called Biturn that will convert from many formats (including .lwo) to .ase. The .ase file can usually (about 70% of the time) import directly into Alice. Usually it's pretty easy. If it doesn't work, however, it's usually nearly impossible to fix.

Do a search of the forum with "Biturn" as the key word for some postings describing the process in more detail.

Last edited by DrJim; 07-11-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added Biturn note.

Old
DrJim

Default 07-13-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
The .ase file can usually (about 70% of the time) import directly into Alice. Usually it's pretty easy ...
Just out of curiousity - plus I though a drum set model would be nice to have - I downloaded a couple of models from the site I referenced. I was pretty accurate on the 70% number.

The Roland electronic drum set made it through the entire process pretty well. The .3ds file is the original, the .ase was the result after Biturn and the .a2c version is the result after import to Alice 2.0. The only "problem" is that the result is pretty complex (dozens of sub-object) yet still has a "flat" hierarchy. If I was going to use this a lot, I'd break it up into individual componts - just delete a lot in Alice and then save the result(s).

The more standard set had problems - first some illegal names (blank) which Alice doesn't like. This I fixed by editing the (text) .ase model. The result was pretty good - except for the bass drum, which has a problem with the front surface texture (probably a wrong surface normal). I suspect that is because of the way the logo was designed.

One could fix the problem in 3 ways. Easiest is just to add a "billboard," with the drum as it's vehicle, to cover the "hole". You could also personalize the logo this way.

Next, it might be possible to fix the normal by editing the .ase file - the problem is finding the problem. Finally you could load the .3ds version of the model into Anim8or (or Blender, Wings 3D, etc.) and fix the problem there. The last is the most difficult option - but also the one that is almost sure to work.

Hope this helps and good luck on doing your own models.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Drums.zip (4.43 MB, 52 views)

Old
Veryuhbull

Default 07-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks so much for the drums!

I've recently downloaded a few programs (anim8or, blender, wings3D Etc.) And other than being nearly inept at making models so far, I hope to make myself some models. Sadly, I don't quite understand how to fully use the programs yet.

Old
dubastot

Default 07-17-2009, 09:22 PM

I apologize for giving an incorrect answer and help I don't anger anyone. My intentions are not negative(or I at least hope they aren't).