Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Well
Old
PogoDaMonkey

Smile Well - 01-11-2007, 10:51 AM

I have WinRAR, and it seems to just be the library file. Maybe its just my luck, but every version above .85 had the same corrupted library file. I figured (mostly hoped) that the version below the ones that required the library file worked, and they did! Now its just my wondering (hoping) that Alice doesn't use .png files for textures...and I have a converter for those if needed...

Thanks Jim.

Texture File Format
Old
DrJim

Cool Texture File Format - 01-11-2007, 12:12 PM

Actually nearly all (maybe all) of the Alice library models do use .png images for textures. The only place I've seen this is required, however, is if you are going to use alpha level transparency in the texture (rooms in windows, for example). I've never been able to get that to work for any other format - though I haven't tried very hard.

For the two or three programs I work with a lot, .png has the most consistant implementation so if I can't use the format something comes in, that's where I tend to go. However I have used .bmp quite a bit and .jpg some. Don't really recommend .jpg for anything other than quick work, however. Sometimes I get funny color effects from the compression when I scale objects.

Speaking of scale - make sure you at least roughly scale your texture to your object. I find 64 pixels per "Alice meter" is a good place to start, but for more complex textures I recommend you experiment a bit to see what works best as you scale the object - and please do share your results.

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Lightbulb 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Do keep in mind that .BMP files are much larger than most other file types, but that's because their resolution is very sharp and accurate, whereas .JPEGs and .JPGs (what's the difference, anyways??? ) tend to blur colored edges in a pic to save space.

.PNGs...... not sure what they're good for... never used 'em myself.

Been pretty busy with a new programming..... program in class this week... I've found it hard to finish my phasor, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to post my results.

what?
Old
Fo_H@wk

Default what? - 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM

wow, you people really know what your talking about when it comes to computers!!!

Old
PogoDaMonkey

Cool 01-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Ok...made a basic sphere in Anim8r, converted it with biturn to .ase. Now what?

XD

Edit: Nevermind. Figured out you just import it from .ase... didn't think it was that easy! And the sphere worked, probably just going to use Anim8or for shapes, use skins later. Gotta work on getting it in the center though...

X D

Last edited by PogoDaMonkey; 01-17-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Figured it out

Centering an Object
Old
DrJim

Default Centering an Object - 01-22-2007, 05:23 PM

That one is easy too, though it took me quite a while to find it.

In Anim8or, just select the object and do

Edit > Locate > Center About Origin