Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Can worlds be merged? How?
Old
panderson8

Default Can worlds be merged? How? - 09-13-2005, 10:46 PM

I am working on a team project for class. We are each working on different parts of the project. Is there anyway to merge them together other than re-entering each persons parts of the project?

Old
scooper

Default 09-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Worlds cannot be merged per se in Alice. From an object-oriented perspective, the sharing that should occur in Alice worlds is at the character/class level rather than at the world-level. What I mean by this is that when doing a team project, individual team members should each extend the capabilities of classes (for example creating an ice skater who has methods to do an axel, spin, etc.), and save out the class as a new class (perhaps saving the ice skater out as an OlympicSkater), and then bringing in to a new world an instance of that new class. Our text Learning to Program With Alice discusses this in Chapter 4. Please let me know if you wish more details on the mechanics of saving out a new class model and then re-importing it into a new world.

Steve