Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Homeschoolers
Old
sugardave

Default Homeschoolers - 09-26-2006, 05:33 PM

My wife and I are homeschooling our child, well, mostly my wife is right now. I'll eventually be responsible for some more advanced math and the computer science pieces of education.

Anyway, I just found Alice yesterday and am looking forward to using it to teach (and learn some more!) object oriented programming. Are there any other homeschoolers using Alice to teach their children programming?

Old
lanceA

Default 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM

Welcome -
I don't "hometeach" but if you are considering using Alice then you definitely want to check out the resources available to you at www.aliceprogramming.net.

Additionally I have numerous websites/other resources with Alice material that might be helpful for teachers.

Good luck,

Last edited by lanceA; 09-26-2006 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Corrected something. . .

Thanks
Old
sugardave

Default Thanks - 09-26-2006, 06:36 PM

I came across the site and am trying to figure out how to get a copy of the teacher's book. The links to follow for ordering lead me to believe I can only get them from Prentice Hall if I'm a "real school". We've found a used student copy, but I wonder if there's more value in the teacher's edition.

Old
lanceA

Default 09-26-2006, 07:10 PM

There is no Teacher's Book. The only difference between the "used" copy of the textbook and the "new" texbook is the CD, which hopefully has a copy of the ALICE CD, it's galleries and the "worlds", SnowPeople, Mummy, etc used in the text.

www.aliceprogramming.net is the way to go if you are teaching, but you will probably need to authinticate.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-27-2006, 03:49 PM

I had an email exchange with Wanda Dann and Steve Cooper, two of the authors of Learning to Program with Alice, and the crew behind aliceprogramming.net.

I think we have been contacted by homeschoolers maybe a few times. No homeschooling groups have contacted us so we are unaware how popular Alice is within the homeschooling community.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 09-27-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardave View Post
I came across the site and am trying to figure out how to get a copy of the teacher's book. The links to follow for ordering lead me to believe I can only get them from Prentice Hall if I'm a "real school". We've found a used student copy, but I wonder if there's more value in the teacher's edition.
You will need to verify that you have purchased the text and are an adult teaching with it (as opposed to being a student). You can visit http://www.aliceprogramming.net to contact either Steve, Wanda or the publisher, Prentice Hall.