Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Documentation for primitive methods
Old
DickBaldwin

Default Documentation for primitive methods - 03-17-2007, 09:47 PM

My name is Dick Baldwin and I am a professor of Computer Science at Austin Community College.

For the past eleven years, I have spent most of my spare time writing and publishing free online programming tutorials for a variety of programming environments.

I am currently working on a series of tutorial lessons that are designed to teach aspiring programmers who have no programming experience how to program using the Alice programming environment.

While writing the first draft copies of several early lessons, I found myself repeatedly explaining the behavior of various primitive methods. I concluded that I needed to find a good online resource that explains the behavior of all 20 of the Alice primitive methods, hopefully illustrating the explanations with short sample programs.

While I may have overlooked it, I was completely unable to locate Alice documentation of this sort on the web, so I decided to write my own. I have put the individual tutorial lessons on hold for the time being, and am working on Appendix A to the tutorials. This appendix will explain and illustrate the behavior of the twenty primitive methods that belong to all, or at least most, of the Alice objects.

I have decided to publish an incomplete preview release of Appendix A in order to make it possible for other interested parties to provide feedback and suggestions as to changes that I should consider making to cause the document to be more effective for its intended purpose.

You will find a link to the appendix at the end of the list of links at the following URL:

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

If you are interested in commenting on this work in progress, you may do so by posting comments on this thread, or you may send email to me directly at the following email address:

baldwin@dickbaldwin.com

I typically receive in excess of 25,000 spam messages each month, so I use a very aggressive spam blocker. If you send an email message directly to me, please include the word Alice, surrounded on both sides by space characters, somewhere in the Subject line of your message to cause your message to bypass my spam blocker.

Thank you.
Dick Baldwin

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Dick,

Thank you for providing such a detailed (and free) online resource for those new to Alice and looking for help.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 03-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I just posted a significantly updated version containing the explanations and illustrations for many additional primitive methods at the following URL:

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Dick Baldwin