Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Objects

Shapes to a Model
Old
ShinobiRAGE

Default Shapes to a Model - 03-10-2008, 05:15 PM

I created a model out of shapes, its not really done, but I want to know if I can make it to an object in Alice. Done all in Alice.
How would I even skin these objects, is there like a UV map or something?

If you can't figure it out, its a M16A1, supposedly.

Sorry for so big images, weird.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM

See the thread http://www.alice.org/community/showt...=2025#post2025 and related links.

The bottom line is that the only way you can really create a model in Alice from simple shapes is to import the shapes (in .ase format - there are shapes in that format attached to a posting in the forum, however) as textures and then combine and resize them as needed for your model, which can then be saved.

Think the links should answer most questions, but feel free to ask if something isn't clear.

Added Notes: To "skin" the models made this way, you have to import a texture for each object. If you have done a UV mapping on the entire object before you import it, the mapping will be preserved (usually - there are some problems with normals) but you still have to bring the textures in separately.

Also, nice model, especially for working from simple shapes.

Last edited by DrJim; 03-11-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added note on skinning.

Old
ShinobiRAGE

Default 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks, took a couple of hours, but I am not going to make all over again, but since I made it for a first person view and made made the objects vehicle to the camera, its all right for now.

For the UV Map for the shapes, are they like laying around somewhere?

Old
DrJim

Default 03-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiRAGE View Post
For the UV Map for the shapes, are they like laying around somewhere?
Good question! For those I posted, I only had one surface (and unfornately don't remember for sure if they were one sided or two sided) - hence the UV map will just be for a sheet onto the appropriate single surface. Photoshop and some other programs will do that, but it may take a bit of experimenting. For your rifle, I'd just use a wood and a metal texture or two and not worry about a detailed mapping - but that doesn't work too well for some other objects. (Actually I'd still recommend those forums if you want to use Anim8or, which is free.)

If you want to do more than that, I suggest you create your own shapes and mappings in Wings 3D - that program has excellent help for this in the forums on their web pages.

Last edited by DrJim; 03-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Awesom!
Old
samjamrb

Default Awesom! - 03-21-2008, 08:56 PM

If youd be so kind as to post this world with that weapon in i would be grateful. Or you could email it to me at sam.rosser-bright@live.com, thank you.

I would be happy to work on texturing and send you a finished product!

Possibly implemented in a game, an FPS of course!

Thanks
Old
JeremyShafer

Default Thanks - 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks for this post... I was trying to figure out something very much like this.