Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Combine multiple worlds
Old
coynerm

Default Combine multiple worlds - 02-20-2007, 06:34 AM

Is it possible to combine multiple worlds (separate .a2w files) into one?

I have our students working in small groups where each one is developing a scene and now we'd like to combine them to make one movie. i thought the import feature allowed this but it is not working.

or is there a work around to this?

thx.
MC

Old
chuck

Default 02-20-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure about combining multiple worlds, but if you have written methods for objects, you can save the object, and then import that into another world. Methods written for the object are part of the object, and will be imported into the new world with the object.

Right-click the object's tile in the object tree to save the object, then select save object... from the menu. use import... on the File menu to import an object.

Of course, this does not carry over world-level methods, or events, but it may help a little.

Copying blocks of code from one world to another.
Old
DrJim

Default Copying blocks of code from one world to another. - 02-20-2007, 11:22 PM

You can copy the code for a world level method (but not the method itself) to another program. For convenience, put all the code you want to copy into a "Do in order" block (this is not essential, but saves time) and then copy that block to the clipboard. Then, without closing Alice, open the program you wish to add the code to. The copied code will still be on the clipboard and you can drop it into the new program wherever you wish.

There is one large (but reasonable) limitation to this process. All objects, methods etc. used in the instructions in the copied code must already exist in the new world with exactly the same full name. Watch out for things like "….arm.hand" and "….forearm.hand" - these are considered different names and the drop will fail.

You can also do this for object level code, but copying the object and importing it as Chuck Herbert describes is a much easier approach.

One final note. You can increase the number of clipboards available by going to Edit>Preferences>Seldom Used and changing the number of clipboards in the menu that appears. This can save time if you are copying several blocks of code.

Old
PogoDaMonkey

Smile 02-21-2007, 11:03 AM

Due to the limitations there, it is sort of an inconvienience to just copy and paste methods between worlds. I personally like putting the methods into objects, parameters and all, then exporting them, and trying to not keep references to the old world, import them again with the full method intact.

Copy paste never really worked for me, especially involving parameters and variables, but sometimes just large ssections of code wouldn't drop for no reason.

Hope this helps.