Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Option to make Objects Solid
Old
crick_head

Default Option to make Objects Solid - 08-14-2008, 08:49 AM

I'm making a game currently, and i'm having alot of trouble making all my objects solid. Hopefully when 3.0 comes out there'l be solid objects.

Old
DrJim

Default 08-14-2008, 09:27 AM

I really doubt that Alice 3.0 will have that capability.

As I've said elsewhere, most 3D computer generated objects, Alice or otherwise, consist of a mesh which forms a batch of 2D surfaces, each of which is assigned a texture. You could make a batch of tests to determine whether you were "inside" or "outside" a mesh - but it would be quite difficult. (This is actually a major problem importing objects with openings, such as doors.)

I don't know of any graphics animation program that actually assigns volume material properties to the inside of a mesh. There are engineering-type programs, such as ray-tracing programs for lens design (POV Ray is freeware that has this capability) or stress-analysis programs for building materials, that do provide the capability - but these have very limited graphics - and have very large memory requirements for even static problems. (From personal experience, I suggest you do not run this type of program on a shared resource unless you're sure your boss or senior professor isn't running a program at the same time. )

Last edited by DrJim; 08-14-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: added POV Ray reference