Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Old
Yasjalnadie

Default 12-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Thank you for helping me better understand your comment, DrJim, I myself would personally volunteer to help run the Irc server. I know many other's would as well. Irc helps other's get into Alice, the more people that use Alice the better it becomes and progresses through the years, I hope others post about volunteering with the Irc server for Alice.

Cheers,
Yasjalnadie

A Chatroom for Alice Questions
Old
Jackie

Default A Chatroom for Alice Questions - 10-22-2008, 06:28 PM

I teach Alice and I would rather have my students see me or send email if they are having a problem. So, I think having a chat room isn't so necessary to help with programming assignments. I would like to know what they are having problems with and I sometimes like for them think about solutions for themselves. I also learn about Alice's little quirks by looking at their programs.

It might also help students learn to start on assignments early, if they know they will have a harder time getting help the night before it's due. Good preparation for upper division classes.

I have posted questions and it takes a long time for someone to reply. Wouldn't it be unlikely that someone would just be hanging around that happens to know the answer to a question?

Old
lanceA

Default 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM

[quote=Jackie;7162]I teach Alice and I would rather have my students see me or send email if they are having a problem. So, I think having a chat room isn't so necessary to help with programming assignments. I would like to know what they are having problems with and I sometimes like for them think about solutions for themselves. quote]

I could not agree more with your comments, Jackie! The whole issue of computer science is to have students think about and solve problems on their own, given the tools they are provided.

Last edited by lanceA; 10-22-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Bloody typos