Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Object making add-on.
Old
Quag555

Lightbulb Object making add-on. - 03-21-2009, 09:31 AM

I think that Alice would be so much better if your were able to make your own objects with-out buying another program. A good alternative would be a converter that converts normal 3D object files to Alice Objects. This would make Alice SO MUCH better. This would be a great feature for the new Alice version.

Thank you for looking at my suggestion and please reply to my thread. Thank you again,

Quag555

Old
DrJim

Default 03-22-2009, 08:37 AM

Two comments:

1. You don't have to buy another program - Anim8or, Biturn, Blender and several other programs are free and do the job fine.

2. A 3D modeling program is, in itself, a very large and complicated program. Adding that capability to Alice - which already bogs down when the worlds get too large - would just make Alice more cumbersome and difficult to document and maintain.

Additionally, I doubt that over 20% of Alice users would really take the time to make their own models. Remember, Alice was (and is) intended as a tool for teaching OOP. That is difficult enough in itself.

Old
Quag555

Thumbs up Reply - 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Yes, that is very true. Alice was only designed to teach and would get very slow when adding new features but, I would really like to see Alice be able to import "normal" or more used 3D file types. I have a feeling that the reason for having an odd file extension is because their are other types of things in the file such as bones, properties, and Methods. Yes, I know this would be a major change but, I believe this would greatly increase the number of users and more of them would make their own objects. I believe that the reason only 20% of the people using Alice make their own objects is because it is hard to convert to a file format used by Alice.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quag555 View Post
I believe that the reason only 20% of the people using Alice make their own objects is because it is hard to convert to a file format used by Alice.
Having just spent the afternoon working with Poser 6 (which is available at a bargain price right now, since it doesn't work with Vista), I have to disagree (though I may give you 5% ).

Making even OK 3D objects with anything is frankly difficult - making good ones is really hard. You have to be motivated to even try that - and it's not a skill really needed - or even wanted - by most folks.

But I do partially agree with you. As I've posted elsewhere, I'd really like to see Alice have the ability to import from the free version of Google SketchUp.

Last edited by DrJim; 03-26-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
Having just spent the afternoon working with Poser ...
One case where a picture may be worth a 1K words - the attached is the result of my trying to import my Poser work into Alice.

The "problem" is fairly simple. The Poser export gave a model with well over 64K polygons - not at all untypical for a good 3D model. Biturn couldn't handle that directly and going through Anim8or didn't help much - though it did at least get a convertable image, as shown.

I know somewhere on my computer I have at least one program (plus Blender) that will reduce polygon count - but with resulting loss of detail (which I spent considerable time creating). On the other hand, even if I successfully imported the whole thing into Alice, the program would have real difficulty with the large file.

Alice is just a teaching tool (and I hope the Alice team is working hard to improve that aspect of it for Alice 3.0 ) - don't expect more of it than is there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poser Head.jpg (11.4 KB, 33 views)

Another few K words
Old
DrJim

Default Another few K words - 03-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Rereading my last couple of postings, I started to feel a bit guilty for my negative attitiute. (But try working with a real 3D program for a bit - and see what happens. )

The attached shows a bit of what you can really do with such a program - and import into Alice - assuming you keep your sanity.

Just don't expect it from Alice - Poser 6 (which is outdated) is nearly 700 MB without libraries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chair.jpg (23.4 KB, 34 views)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w chair.a2w (637.2 KB, 4 views)