Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Suggestion Box

Irc server?
Old
Yasjalnadie

Default Irc server? - 11-28-2006, 08:31 AM

Imagine you are sitting working on a project and you get stuck and not everyone hover's on forums all day to answer your questions. Why not create and Irc (Internet Relay Chat) sever/room so people could talk to each other and get in-depth help instead of the constant posting and spamming of the forums. My suggestion is simple just add an irc chat to the website. Post to tell me if you agree or not, flamers are not welcome . And if the admin's of the site decided to use and irc server I can give them the html code for the actual client sort of like a cgiirc. Well peace out...

People who agree

Link lol

People who disagree

gabe
Link lol

Flamers?!

Last edited by Yasjalnadie; 11-29-2006 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Changeing stoofs

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM

While I appreciate the suggestion, I would have to be on the "disagree" side of the argument, for several reasons.

I have strong doubts as to how many advanced Alice users would actually stay logged in to make it worthwhile to help those in need. Being able to scan over posts and make a reply at leisure is a lot easier and more people can bounce ideas off of each other.

There is somewhat of a barrier to entry, in that while there are web-based java irc clients out there, it's still not as easy as posting to a forum (which, sadly, is *still* more difficult than I would like, as I need to have several spammer preventative measures).

IRC cannot be monitored by me unless I am logged in all the time. Since technically these forums are a part of Carnegie Mellon University, I need to make sure nothing is said or done which could lead to a lawsuit.

I really find a forum environment appealing, and while it is not the most helpful for students who need live help with a homework assignment, that's really not the service we provide.

For me personally, with the forums I can take a break from whatever I'm doing a couple times a day and check up on the latest posts and if there's something I can help with, I do. I'm sure I could use my entire day up in a chatroom...but then nothing else would ever get done!

Thoughts?

Old
Yasjalnadie

Default 11-29-2006, 08:11 AM

Well for the reason's you are speaking of: For anti cursing you could write a irc script like this

Quote:
on *:start: {

hmake Bad 10

if ($exists(Bad.txt)) hload Bad Bad.txt

}

on *:TEXT:*:#: {

if (!adbt == $1) && ($nick isop $chan) {

hadd -m Bad Text $addtok($hget(Bad,Text),$2-,32)

msg $nick $2- Added To Text Table Boss

hsave -o Bad Bad.txt

}

}

on ^*:TEXT:*:*: {

var %r = 1

while (%r <= $calc($count($1-,$chr(32)) +1)) {

if ($istok($hget(Bad,Text),[ $eval($+($chr(36),%r),2) ],32)) && ($nick != $me) {

access # add deny $ial($nick,1).addr 15 : Bad Word

kick $chan $nick Please Dont Use That Word Here (15 Minute ban.)

halt

}

inc %r

}

}
So as soon as they said that word, they would instantly be kb (kick banned) also you can create bot's using irc that can interact with other users using commands such as !help irc or !help bot or !help Alice. You can make it react with those certain words. Using this script will lower people getting angry with each other over racial/bad words. And I know a few people would love to chill in the irc room (me personally). Plus you can multi task, also I can create script's that will make a pop up appear if using mIRC that will let you know someone has enterted a room.

Thanks,

Yasjalnadie

yes.. annnddd.. nooo..
Old
Link

Default yes.. annnddd.. nooo.. - 11-29-2006, 09:08 AM

Agreeing with the in depth type discussions those are always fun.. makes you think you are actually talking to someone instead of leaving a message from them to reaspond to laterish.. as for the no.. I agree with gabe.. not that many people will be logged on for awhile.. it'd be a quick log on log off situation.. but then again.. it could really help.. Perhaps you could set up certain times for certain discussions baised on demand for the topic? per say.. gabe gets on the Irc at 6 o'clock western us time.. and answers questions about a broad topic.. example being collision problems everyone keeps asking about.

I see it
Old
Yasjalnadie

Default I see it - 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM

I agree with you link, that would be awsome knowing you could acually talk to someone instead of the forums for the right time, that would be hauss. Well
I'm out step father is yelling at me for being on computer ^_^.

Peace
Yasjalnadie

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 12-01-2006, 03:55 PM

I will think more about this over the weekend. One of the benefits of a forum is that it's permanent. People post questions and others post answers. Anyone can visit the site and view these threads and hopefully get help for their problem. If they can't, they can post it.

It's one of the things I don't like about people PM'ing or emailing me questions. If one person is running into a problem, there's a good chance someone else will. It makes it a lot easier to point people to a thread to discuss Alice than to explain things in private. It also allows for others to provide feedback.

IRC is temporary. While great discussion may come out of it, it's not shared with the hundreds of others out there who may benefit.

I am all for new ways to discuss Alice, and if people keep responding with enthusiasm for IRC (or other communication mediums), I'd be willing to experiment with them.

Old
Yasjalnadie

Default 12-02-2006, 02:13 PM

Thank you for your considering and Irc server/chat gabe, I hope you do consider it and have a wonderful weekend.

A possibility?
Old
DrJim

Question A possibility? - 12-02-2006, 05:27 PM

Don't know much about this, but a quick thought. How about someone not part of the development group setting up an independent chat area for Alice? I notice, for example, that the forum where Deozaan posted his reviews of Alice already has a general chat room set up
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/...hp?action=chat . Since they already have shown at least a little interest in Alice, that might be a place to start. I'm sure there are other possibilities out there - I'm just not that familiar with the subject myself.

Old
Yasjalnadie

Default 12-04-2006, 07:31 AM

Dr Jim, I sort of do not get where you are coming from on this topic, are you suggesting that the particpants of alice.org join another forum so we may use their chat or merely suggesting that we create something of that sort

Cheers,
Yasjalnadie

Either One or Both
Old
DrJim

Question Either One or Both - 12-04-2006, 09:39 AM

I don't really have an opinion - have seen both. Ususally the first is a part of a general group that discusses problems specific to a tool, most commonly Photoshop, but in this case Alice. The second option would probably be more attractive to this forum but it requires someone to set it up and maintain it - a lot of work for a volunteer.

Again - this isn't something I'm very familiar with - just tossing out a couple of ideas.