Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Alice won't work!
Old
fatherfarvagriffin

Exclamation Alice won't work! - 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM

I'm a beginner at programming and I heard about about Alice through a professor at my university so I downloaded it. The files downloaded and unzipped with no problem but when I double-clicked on the file to open it a message popped up say "Could not LoadLibrary jvm.dll". Can anyone help me change my computer's settings or do what I need to run Alice?

Old
DrJim

Default 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM

Typically, this type of message happens when the executable Alice file and the "Required" folder are not in a common folder themselves.

Old
fatherfarvagriffin

Default 01-08-2009, 10:58 AM

the problem with that is that they are in a common folder. the required folder, the alice program and the slow and steady alice program are all in the same folder yet the message still occurs.

Old
DrJim

Default 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Sorry that didn't work. Maybe someone else can suggest something.

The other causes of this type problem are somewhat more difficult to find, especially with Vista, and I'm afraid I have no other ideas except to suggest you search the forum - probably with Google so you can use specific key word combinations with your OS, etc.

There is a remote possibility that it may be a problem with unzipping the downloaded file. This has been mentioned - but doesn't seem to be consistant between users. You might also try another download and unzipping with 7-zip. Probably a long shot - but if it should work, please post that result.

Old
fatherfarvagriffin

Default 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Thank you DrJim, redownloading and unzipping with 7-zip let me open alice. I just have to hope that nothing else goes wrong.

Unzipping in Vista
Old
DrJim

Default Unzipping in Vista - 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Glad that worked. Apparently the unzipping function in Vista is quirky (like much else). I actually had no problem with the regualr unzip tool on my Vista laptop but I had seen others reference the problem.