Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Distance to
Old
gypsy fly

Default Distance to - 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM

In one of the Chapter 3 exercises, a dragon is supposed to fly aorund a blimp.

One of my students did a move forward distance from the dragon to the blimp. It went way past the blimp about twice as far. Doing a distance to from the blimp to the dragon ... works.

why?

Old
gypsy fly

Default 02-01-2009, 12:49 AM

I can't replicate on my home computer. Maybe there some setting on the lab PCs that's affecting it. Wish I could find out what. The student showed me the problem on his workstation and I was able to replicate it on the instructor station.

Distance to blimp problem
Old
DrJim

Default Distance to blimp problem - 02-01-2009, 05:10 AM

I can replicate the problem but can't explain it. Looks like a real bug with the blimp object.

In the attached, note that the blimp to .... and the .... to blimp distances do differ by a factor of approximately two. The chicken-dragon distance, however, is the same no matter which direction the test is made.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w distance to blimp test.a2w (1.75 MB, 76 views)

At the mercy of the artist
Old
gypsy fly

Default At the mercy of the artist - 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the confirmation!

Last Friday, for homework, several of the students did Chap 4: #7 "Magic Art". The magicians left hand is oriented differently from the right. So in order to move both hands to the magicians side, one hand had to be rolled while the other turned.

How does one access the original model to make the corrections? Must we always be at the mercy of the artists?

Old
gypsy fly

Default 02-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
I can replicate the problem but can't explain it. Looks like a real bug with the blimp object.

In the attached, note that the blimp to .... and the .... to blimp distances do differ by a factor of approximately two. The chicken-dragon distance, however, is the same no matter which direction the test is made.
I dropped an "orient to" in your test program prior to the debugs ... it worked after that. Interesting bug, isn't it?

What's more interesting is how my students reacted to the bug. Some picked up on my "Oh well, go figure!". Many got rattled and perturbed.

Since CTEC 120 is a Beginning Programming course, and a pre-req to everything, I feel teaching them attitude is as important as aptitude.

I ought to find another "blimp" and stick it in the next in-class project.

They'll live!

Old
DrJim

Default 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy fly View Post
How does one access the original model to make the corrections? Must we always be at the mercy of the artists?
For now, that seems to be the case. I don't know what the situation will be with Alice 3.0.

Your blimp experiment was interesting - as well as "instructive."