Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Launch Alice without command prompt
Old
TheTech

Default Launch Alice without command prompt - 04-28-2014, 03:04 PM

At our school, we disallow use of the command prompt for our students. Given that the Alice launcher is a batch file, Alice is rendered inoperable. Anyone have any ideas to launch Alice without the batch file?

Thanks!

I assume you are referencing Alice 3.1.81
Old
MrMoke

Default I assume you are referencing Alice 3.1.81 - 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM

This is a security issue:
If you are the system administrator for your campus, then you should already know the answer to this question. If not, then contact them, and see if they can make an exception for your workstations.

Note that Alice3.1.92 is now an executable rather than a .bat file, but I have been unable to get it to run on my 64bit Win7 test system.

Last edited by MrMoke; 04-28-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Old
TheTech

Default 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM

I'm the one that put the restrictions in place to prevent script execution and command line access... so... no, I don't know the answer to the question I asked. Which is why I asked it.

I attempted a PS script as I can individually allow those in a much more granular manner (hash rule) than I can a batch file. But with the ~150 character parameter for the javaw executable to launch Alice, it didn't play well.

I'll check out 3.1.92 per your suggestion and see if I can get that going. Thanks.

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTech View Post
I'm the one that put the restrictions in place to prevent script execution and command line access... so... no, I don't know the answer to the question I asked. Which is why I asked it.

I attempted a PS script as I can individually allow those in a much more granular manner (hash rule) than I can a batch file. But with the ~150 character parameter for the javaw executable to launch Alice, it didn't play well.

I'll check out 3.1.92 per your suggestion and see if I can get that going. Thanks.
What is wrong with making the batchfile read-execute and then creating a shortcut with the Alice icon etc and placing the shortcut where you want it to show up?
Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Old
TheTech

Default 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickentree View Post
What is wrong with making the batchfile read-execute and then creating a shortcut with the Alice icon etc and placing the shortcut where you want it to show up?
Mark
The permissions to block script execution are not NTFS based, but are enforced via GPO. I'm working on the 3.1.92 idea.

Old
TheTech

Default 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM

3.1.92 with it's .exe launcher worked like a charm. Thank you!

Old
creditosrapidos10min

Default 06-07-2014, 03:46 AM

And if you are not the system administrator and you don't have permissions of excute command prompt. What I have to say to my system administrator for Alice work?

No Problem
Old
MrMoke

Default No Problem - 06-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTech View Post
3.1.92 with it's .exe launcher worked like a charm. Thank you!
Update- The bug in 3.1.92 has been patched by the Alice team, and it now works on Win7.