Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Help! Variable set random number
Old
mf1782

Question Help! Variable set random number - 07-14-2013, 02:26 PM

All,
I'm trying to set a value to a variable to a random number range. Similar to the Figure 2.8 example on page 31 in the book called distance. I've created a new variable type is number and value is 0. I drag the variable down into the method editor and attempt to set the value. I don't see an option to choose random. I do also see random in the details panel under the function tab. However, I'm unable to drag and drop it or choose it to set the variable to it. I've been over this and over this and would really appreciate any help. Please let me know if you need any further info. Thanks in advance!

Nevermind....
Old
mf1782

Default Nevermind.... - 07-14-2013, 03:39 PM

...Smh....Lesson learned. I spent a few hours messing with this only to find out that if I don't SPECIFICALLY drag the random number over the tiny allotted location, the field won't turn green and allow me to drop it. That was frustrating....

This is not how I envisioned any part of programming to be like
Old
Patrick

Default This is not how I envisioned any part of programming to be like - 07-15-2013, 09:24 PM

This beginning exercise has blow my mind, this is not how I thought that any aspect of programming would be like. My thought was that Programers just pounded out code all day and that was the extent of it.The idea of working so much as a team to build a project did not enter my mind. Working with Alice was fun and it showed me how engaging and artistically involved the building programs and web pages can be. I am excited for the next adventure, and I love the chance to be creative. So many times I have thought while surfing the web that the person that designed this site didn't set it up in a thoughtful manner. Well now I am on the road to producing my own projects were I can use my ideas in a productive manner.
, Patrick

Thanks for the help
Old
eug3n10

Default Thanks for the help - 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM

I was actually breaking my head on how to insert the random variable as I could not find it. After referencing your post I was able to find it. Many thanks.