Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Old
roofy

Default 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM

if no one minds, I would like to put my 2 cents in. After quickly glancing through this thread, I have notice a couple of you were commenting about the intent for Alice. LanceA said...

I thought Alice was a 'tool' to help motivate young people learn, not to build the next Final Fantasy or to learn physics. I'm definitely missing something here !

and hdixon said...

I must admit I see a few threads that seem to indicate people are trying to go way beyond the intended scope of this fine product.

Before I comment, let me explain a little bit about myself to support my 2 cents.

I am a college student at CCC, (Camden County College), in NJ. I first majored in Computer Graphic Design Certificate, and now I am going for my Associates in Computer Graphic Game Design which requires students to take Fundmentals of Programming that uses Alice as a tool for learning programming structure. However, with myself knowing how professors teach the graphic design courses, they like to see students do more then the minimum requirements that are assigned to them for homework. So in other words, a professor in a course in say Animation 1 might say "I want you to use Maya 3D to model a coffee mug." In addition, he would also say "If you meet these requirements then that is worth a C grade, but if you go beond this requirement, like make the coffee mug have a liquid inside, then this would be worth up to an A"

So my point is, maybe the reason why students expect more is because they are graphic game design majors, or some sort of physic major that wishes alice would include collision detection etc, instead of just a standard computer sceince major where Alice would be best suited for.

Old
lanceA

Default 10-07-2006, 02:44 PM

I believe I understand where you are coming from and on that point I concur with you. And by the way, Camden Community College has a great ALICE program thinks to B. Taylor.

I on the other hand have a student that spends more time attempting to embellish his programs then he does on the basics. He believes the "basics" are too basic and yet it takes him 11-13 lines of code to write what should only require 4-5 lines. And he does this for the same reason - in hopes of getting an A+. His programs are GREAT but slow/jerky due to the processing time/number of instructions he writes. etc.

I can only assume that you have a complete and thorough understanding of the basics included with Alice and therefore you are now attempting to 'push the envelope' and I commend you.

Good luck,

Last edited by lanceA; 10-07-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old
PopnTheDeerInHumanForm

Exclamation 08-24-2007, 03:11 PM

Storytelling Alice has new characters as well as some old Characters
but all the 'local gallery' objects have the 'walk' method as a normal 'quick' command