Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Deprecated Java 1.6
Old
mcohen

Default Deprecated Java 1.6 - 06-09-2017, 01:40 AM

Hi. Here at the University of Aizu (in Fukushima, Japan), we are avid users of Alice 2, which has served well for many years. However, with the version-up of our exercise room iMacs to macOS Sierra 10.12 this summer, our university computer center refuses to install the legacy Java version 1.6, due to fears of security weaknesses. Without this package Alice won't run
(http://alice3.pbworks.com/w/page/580...lice%202_3#OSX),
so we hope that the Alice team is working on a modern release that can run with contemporary Java releases. Does such restriction apply also to Alice 3? If such a release is not forthcoming, for Alice 2 or 3, i fear that we won't be able to use Alice any more (with a whole cascade of related problems that would cause). Is the Alice team working on modernizing the code base? If so, when can a release free of the shackles of legacy Java be expected? Thanks for any reassurance, or else candid admission that such development is not happening, allowing us to properly plan our curriculum.

Old
Pearlman

Default 07-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecohen View Post
Hi. Here at the University of Aizu (in Fukushima, Japan), we are avid users of Alice 2, which has served well for many years. However, with the version-up of our exercise room iMacs to macOS Sierra 10.12 this summer, our university computer center refuses to install the legacy Java version 1.6, due to fears of security weaknesses. Without this package Alice won't run
(http://alice3.pbworks.com/w/page/580...lice%202_3#OSX),
Good point mcohen, are the devs working on this Java issue?

Last edited by Pearlman; 10-20-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 07-22-2017, 08:44 PM

I just installed Alice 2.4.3 on a new Debian Linux install, it works with Java 1.8.0_13 and did not ask for java 1.6.

If that is still a problem would your IT Dept consider putting Alice in a virtual machine? This would provide the best isolation from the actual machine and could further lockdown user actions available in Alice.

I for one wish CMU would make Alice 2 an open project on something like git hub or source forge. There are probably a lot of people in the Alice community that would help with some of the long standing issues in addition there are many who would like to see how things are accomplished "under the hood."

I am not sure Alice 3 is ready for prime time and it is not as easy to get students up and running in 3, or at least that has been my limited experience.

Mark

Mark Henwood
mhenwood@ieee.org

Last edited by chickentree; 07-22-2017 at 08:46 PM.