Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Help with displayin
Old

Default Help with displayin - 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM

can someone help me show a square that displays text when one of the characters approaches it by 3 metters distance .???

Last edited by 0461400; 03-07-2009 at 04:54 PM.

How do you want to?
Old
ottar9919

Default How do you want to? - 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Your best option is probably to use 3D text. Create it, and place it where you want it to appear. Then set the "is Showing" in the text's properties window to false.

Now, create a "when something becomes true" event. Use a function "is within threshold of" function. When the object is within 3 meters, have the 3D text set isShowing to true.

Old

Default 03-08-2009, 04:43 PM

thank you very much for your reply, but am new to this and it doesn't work for me somehow , i wanted to display text moving down as it displays...i would have appreciated your help...

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-08-2009, 09:49 PM

You can't really have an object appear by parts, unless it has subparts (which 3d text doesn't have).

Your options are:

1. keep what you have

2. change "set isShowing to true" to "set opacity to 100%" and change the opacity of the object (under the properties tab on the left of the screen) to 0%

3. add a resize object method on your world, change the dimension to top to bottom, then tell the object to resize to a small number (not zero, that could cause glitches. try .05). Then, set the duration to zero seconds, so that the words are small, almost invisible, when the world starts. Finally add another resize method that undoes what the first one does when the person comes close to it (resize by 20 top to bottom) but with a duration of one second. That should give you the illusion that it's moving down. You may need to have it actually move down as it appears in order to enhance the effect.

As a final note, if you really want help, politely say so and post your world next time. You should have told ottar to explain his help instead of saying you would have appreciated it, since he did help you.

(')>

Old

Default 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the final note..