Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

camera moving with object
Old
Alex Rodriguez

Default camera moving with object - 02-13-2009, 04:06 PM

I have a world in which a cow and chicken converse, then turn to face a farmer and walks towards him. My question is, how do I get the camera to follow these two objects as they walk towards the farmer? I know that you can change the properties vehicle=world to make the camera follow a certain object. But I need the camera to stay still for the first part of my animation, then when it gets to the point where they walk towards the farmer, I want the camera to follow them.

If someone can help me, please email me at arodriguez1212 at msn (I had previously put yahoo by mistake, I feel aweful for the person that might have been getting emails for this....oops). I'd appreciate it.

What I've tried so far:
Do together
Both methods for cow and chicken walking
camera move forword X meters
This makes the camera move forward faster then my objects go. It doesn't move fluidly with them
I've also tried using the move at speed, but that doesn't get me the results I'm looking for.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Last edited by Alex Rodriguez; 02-14-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Old
bsmill04

Default 02-14-2009, 12:27 AM

have you tried make the camera follow the chicken and cow? Or is that possible?

Theres also a thing called dummy objects. U use these to set the camera postion. I believe use these when making one object move around the area.
You can find more info about these on page 81 and 291 of the book.

Old
Mojax

Default 02-14-2009, 04:51 AM

You can dynamically set the vehicle at any time by dragging it into your method. So find the point in your program where the camera needs to start following them, and then drag the "vehicle=" property in, set it to the cow or chicken. Then if you need it to stop again, just set it back to world.

Old
Alex Rodriguez

Default 02-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the help, I'm still not getting the desired results. I found that if I put the vehicle=world in place where I want the camera to follow a certain object, it does so, but I can't get the camera to move back to its origninal position. I'm running out of time with this assignment so I'll have to cut this from my scene and try and figure it out later.

Old
DrJim

Default 02-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez View Post
... get the camera to move back to its origninal position.
You need to drop a dummy object at the camera in it's original position and orientation. After you set the camera's vehicle back to the world - move the camera to the dummy object and orient the camera to it.