Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Installing
Old
Teacher63

Default Installing - 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Alice is asking for the following to install.

Error Message
The installation wizard failed to connect to the registry server. Most likely this caused by proxies misconfiguration.

What do I enter?

Old
hgs

Default 11-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher63 View Post
Alice is asking for the following to install.

Error Message
The installation wizard failed to connect to the registry server. Most likely this caused by proxies misconfiguration.

What do I enter?
That message suggests the proxy itself is misconfigured. Do you have a proxy server between your machines and the internet? I'd imagine in an educational setting that you do.

Can your PC browse the internet successfully? If not, the machine could be misconfigured. If this is the proxy configuration then it is relatively easy to fix. You need to know what your proxy server is called (it's address), and then follow steps similar to http://proxy.rice.edu/setup.php, though obviously do not point your machine at their proxy.

Proxies do the job of holding local copies of frequently downloaded static pages, and sometimes they block access to unsuitable sites.

If your machine is working fine, and your proxy is misconfigured, then you need to talk to whoever looks after that.

HTH