Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

A couple of questions.
Old
Heart_Flame

Question A couple of questions. - 10-18-2006, 09:27 PM

I looked at the about Alice page, but I still don't get it... so this is a program for making 3D worlds, like an interactive game?

Also... why no animated images for avatars and signatures? D: and only 19.5 kbs? =[ that isn't enough for a 500x100 sig pic...

Old
thetrippster

Default 10-19-2006, 08:38 AM

alice really inst a image editor. its a #D animation tool. Its primarily used in classrooms to teach visual basic programming. IF u want a program to make decent sigs look up GIMP.

Take a look at the Alice home page.
Old
DrJim

Arrow Take a look at the Alice home page. - 10-19-2006, 10:12 PM

When I first read your message, I looked for a reference to the URL for main page - to my surprise there doesn't seem to be one in the obvious places to look , although I'm sure there are many throughout the forum.

Anyway, see http://www.alice.org/ for an overview of Alice's history and goals plus other interesting links. As thetrippster says, Alice is primarily a classroom tool for teaching basic object oriented programming principles. (It's also heavily oriented to Java when it comes to implementation details.)

As far as high resolution, animated avatars, it's probably not a priority for the forum administrators since most of the members don't even have a non-animated one. I personally don't belong to any forums that do support them - could you give me an example and also say what file format they use (animated GIF or ???). I think you could use Alice to generate a nice one, even if you can't use it here (I tried using an animated GIF here and was not allowed to upload it).

Added note
Old
DrJim

Thumbs up Added note - 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM

I could upload the file as an attachement and it is animated!

Note: If animation has stopped (it only cycles 10 times), refresh page.
Attached Images
File Type: gif AniDrJ80.gif (5.7 KB, 502 views)

Last edited by DrJim; 10-20-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added refresh note.

Old
Heart_Flame

Default 10-20-2006, 08:27 PM

Thanks DrJim, ill check it out, when i first came here i only looked at one other page...not the history lol...

and Trippster... the image and alice question were two seperate questions... i wasn't asking if alice was an image editor... i was wondering why this forum has such high standards for avatars and signatures....

EDIT: i cannot upload my animated gif image because the filesize is too big, no good animated image is under 19.5 kb....

Old
lanceA

Default 10-20-2006, 09:51 PM

Heart_Flame:
In answer to your question:
" i was wondering why this forum has such high standards for avatars and
signatures....: "

I would offer that we are more IMPRESSED with a person's ability to solve a problem then we are with worrying about "cute" avatars. ANYONE can do that - But can they code their avatars to recursively solve Fibonnaci equations ? That would impress us.

Avatars are cute for middle-schoolers.

Just my thoughts on the subject, plus I would hope this forum maintains HIGH STANDARDS,

Last edited by lanceA; 10-20-2006 at 09:53 PM.

Old
Heart_Flame

Default 10-21-2006, 01:37 AM

Screw this place, you don't have to be mean. Forget alice, I'll find some other program for this junk...

Animated GIF image format.
Old
DrJim

Thumbs up Animated GIF image format. - 10-21-2006, 10:41 AM

Looks like the forum may have lost Heart_Flame, for whom this was originally intended, but I decided to post this anyway.

My animated avatar is only 6K and I didn't think it was that bad. (OK, this release doesn't calculate numbers from the Fibonacci sequence - but in the next release (incarnation?) the avatar will say "0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 … who do we appreciate.")

Seriously, I don't work much with the GIF format and I was impressed that I could get the animated file size down that low. I started with a single bitmap drawing that was nearly 60K - and I'd already limited the colors and textures to get it that low. The program I used - Animation Shop 3 (which comes with Paint Shop Pro) - has a file size optimization feature that is really nice. It will preview the resulting image as you work and also give you estimated download times at various bit rates.

If anybody wants, you can upload a zipped version of an animated GIF - the image just won't be shown on the forum page. If you'd like to do that, I'll run it through the Animation Shop routine and see what it can do.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 10-21-2006, 11:21 AM

I guess I should probably chime in. Most of the forum settings are the default, although I personally made sure animated avatars and large sigs were kept out. I find that they are very distracting and will probably deter more people than attract. And as of now, we need all the support we can get.

This is the first case of someone asking about avatars/sigs. If this turns into a trend, I will consider modifying the constraints.

However, for now, I hope you don't leave the forums because of these rules. Your contributions to the forums are very much appreciated.

Old
Heart_Flame

Default 10-22-2006, 12:54 PM

Oh, I am not leaving because of the rules, I am leaving because of LanceA... I can't be in a forum that has an unfriendly enviroment... I will, however, check this topic.

I am an artist, I am sure there are many others here who are artists and would understand why LanceA offended me by what he has said.

Last edited by Heart_Flame; 10-22-2006 at 12:58 PM.