Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Useful Shared Sites
Old
CheezItMAn

Default Useful Shared Sites - 08-11-2005, 11:47 PM

Does anyone have developed curriculum beyound the textbook, lab assignments, reading guides etc?

I haven't found much online content or curriculum posted beyound alice.org.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 08-12-2005, 12:51 AM

I have moved this thread to a new forum in order to consolidate curriculum-related posts. I don't have an answer to your question but am forwarding it to the textbook authors, Profs. Steve Cooper and Wanda Dann in case they know of anything.

My hope is that some of the other registered members have online resources that they can share. It would be great to start a page of Alice-related links.

Teaching Materials
Old
pausch
Director of the Alice Project

Default Teaching Materials - 08-12-2005, 06:14 AM

We are definitely looking forward to having people post information about what they have created that will help teachers who are using Alice.

If you are using the book from Prentice-Hall, there's an online site

www.aliceprogramming.net

with lots of additional material (some of the material is password protected, since Prentice-Hall owns the copyright on that material; you can get the password from Prentice-Hall if you're using the book).

There is, of course, the integrated tutorial that comes with Alice, but that covers the mechanics of Alice (with an emphasis on telling stories); it does not teach programming concepts.

Please let us know if you've created - we'd love to hear about it!

Randy Pausch

Instructional Materials
Old
wpdann

Smile Instructional Materials - 08-12-2005, 07:44 AM

The http://www.aliceprogramming.net website provides powerpoint slides, sample labs with concept questions, demo worlds, and solutions to coordinate the textbook and the Alice software. The site also provides sample course calendars and an errata list.

As Randy stated in his posting to this thread, instructors may contact Prentice Hall for an id-password to access password-protected materials. If your Pearson/Prentice Hall login does not work you can contact an author directly. The author's email addresses are on the web page. Please provide information regarding where you teach and the course in which you will be (or are considering) using Alice.

Old
scooper

Default 08-12-2005, 10:00 AM

I'd like to add to Wanda's and Randy's comments by saying that if there is additional material you would like (but that isn't on the aliceprogramming.net website), please let me know. We are continuing to add content to the site regularly.

Steve Cooper
scooper@sju.edu

Labs Assignments atc
Old
CheezItMAn

Talking Labs Assignments atc - 08-14-2005, 10:12 AM

Well I was looking for other sample assignments, labs, and enrichment tutorials.

Also lecture notes, are always nice, to make sure I don't miss stuff, I like to check out other people's notes.

Old
jperry

Default 05-03-2007, 04:54 PM

A site with lots of information, and in a format that helps you develop the elements you are asking about, is:
http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
________
MERCEDES-BENZ GL-CLASS HISTORY

Last edited by jperry; 02-28-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 05-03-2007, 07:53 PM

The main reason that I wrote and published the material at http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm is because even at this late date (apparently the last year in the life of V2.0), I found almost no freely available Alice programming technical information online. (Coming from a Java background, I found that to be almost unbelievable.) For example, I was unable to find any online information about the behavior of the twenty or so primitive methods that belong to all Alice objects, even though the names of some of those methods are ambiguous.

Therefore, I wrote and published a document (Appendix A) on the aforementioned website that explains and illustrates the behavior of the primitive methods. In addition, there are about twenty other tutorial lessons on that website that explain and illustrate various other aspects of Alice programming aimed at teaching programming fundamentals to aspiring programmers who have no programming background.

Now, I am in the process of writing lab projects, practice tests, and classroom lecture slides to accompany the tutorial lessons. That effort will continue for the next couple of months.

Because I am getting ready to teach my first Alice course this summer (I normally teach Java OOP), neither I nor my students could tolerate that dearth of online technical information on Alice.

The material that I have published is freely available to all students and may be freely reproduced and used by facuty and staff of public and private educational institutions provided such reproduction and use is non-commercial and is for purposes consistent with the teaching process.

If you are a student, a teacher, or on the staff of an educational institution as described above, I sincerely hope that you will find my material useful and will assist you in your teaching efforts.

And by the way, if you also have an interest in Java OOP (teaching AP courses for example), I have published about 500 tutorials on Java programming on the same website during the past ten years.

And another by the way, if you are an aspiring programmer within driving distance of Austin TX, registration is currently underway (as of May 3, 2007) for my summer course titled COSC 1315 Fundamentals of Programming at Austin Community College.

Dick Baldwin

A Comment
Old
DrJim

Default A Comment - 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzler View Post
I need to use the "variable named" tile in order to access the variable of an object that has been passed in as a parameter.

Problem is, the "variable named" tile doesn't seem to work. No matter where I drag it, Alice won't let me drop it. How do I get this tile into my program?
This question, to me, illustrates the area where Alice documentation is completely lacking - namely there is no searchable technical reference document.

This seems like an easy question to answer - and also one that someone needing the answer shouldn't have to validate credentials as an "active teacher or considering using the textbook for a course" to have access to.

I've tried, however, for over 30 minutes to figure it out - without luck - and I have scanned all of the texts(3) I have and skimmed through Dick Baldwin's tutorials. (Note the last is the only one that is even searchable for key words.)

I haven't bothered to establish my "credentials" - but frankly I doubt it is on the http://www.aliceprogramming.net site, which by its own definition "provides PowerPoint slides, sample labs with concept questions, demo worlds, and solutions to coordinate the textbook and the Alice software" - so the "ask the instructor" answer probably also wouldn't work - even if you have an "instructor" - unless they just happened to have found the answer on their own (please post it if you have).