Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Passing Variables in a Recursive method
Old
gransalamandra

Default Passing Variables in a Recursive method - 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM

I'm experimenting with Alice to create a recursive method.

I created a frog that is supposed to say a Fibonacci sequence (10 levels using recursiveness). A Fibonacci sequence is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, et cetera, where the two last numbers are added together to create the next number.

I created the recursive method and set two variables to record the current value and the next number, but I'm failing to pass the number to the variables.

I tried _FibNumber set value to (_FibNumber + _FibLastNumber) for the next iteration, did not work, I even tried with 3 variables but when I test, the variable doesn't change. Any ideas?

I even tried to pass a regular number value to the variables but it just keeps coming back with the original value of one

Last edited by gransalamandra; 05-31-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added information

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gransalamandra View Post
I'm experimenting with Alice to create a recursive method.

I created a frog that is supposed to say a Fibonacci sequence (10 levels using recursiveness). A Fibonacci sequence is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, et cetera, where the two last numbers are added together to create the next number.

I created the recursive method and set two variables to record the current value and the next number, but I'm failing to pass the number to the variables.

I tried _FibNumber set value to (_FibNumber + _FibLastNumber) for the next iteration, did not work, I even tried with 3 variables but when I test, the variable doesn't change. Any ideas?

I even tried to pass a regular number value to the variables but it just keeps coming back with the original value of one
If you post your world, I could probably be more help, but from your description it seems like you are using class-level variables instead of world-level. With a class-level variable it resets itself to its original value every time you play the method. Make your variables world level instead, see if that works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

Tau: You are a genious
Old
gransalamandra

Default Tau: You are a genious - 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM

That worked... I pull the variables out to the world-level and it worked.

I have now a frog that calculates a Fibonacci sequence using a recursive method and also created another one that uses and Astronaut using iteration.

Is not homework, but I'm learning about programming concepts and the more you do, the more you understand.

Best regards,

Juan Primo :-)

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gransalamandra View Post
That worked... I pull the variables out to the world-level and it worked.

I have now a frog that calculates a Fibonacci sequence using a recursive method and also created another one that uses and Astronaut using iteration.

Is not homework, but I'm learning about programming concepts and the more you do, the more you understand.

Best regards,

Juan Primo :-)
Glad to help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

i need help keep getting a error
Old
datgurlindia96

Default i need help keep getting a error - 12-02-2015, 08:40 AM

i cant get rid of the error and it wont calculate.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Fibonacci Numbers.a2w (1.44 MB, 4 views)

Old
MrMoke

Default 12-02-2015, 12:58 PM

The purpose of a function is to return a value. The big problem I see is that you have created an endless string of calls to the same function.

Last edited by MrMoke; 12-02-2015 at 01:02 PM.