os.name: Windows XP

os.version: 5.1

os.arch: x86

java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03

user.dir: E:\alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.galleryviewe r.GalleryViewer.<init>(GalleryViewer.java:1069)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.guiInit(CameraViewPanel.ja va:769)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.<init>(CameraViewPanel.jav a:744)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.SceneEditor.<init>(SceneEditor.java:349)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. guiInit(JAliceFrame.java:156)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. <init>(JAliceFrame.java:71)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.mainInit(AuthoringTool.java:456)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:408)

at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:123)

Old
rich0e0rick

Question Reply - 01-11-2008, 09:20 PM

Did u try to reinstall Alice on one of the students computers, and open it from there?

or did u copy it from ur computer?

because alice has files for the gallery and the students computer might not have the file....

try it, it might help

and if u did already try that, then sorry, cant help

(-i tryed-)

Old
mappy24

Default 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM

Me too!

Unable to create the gallery viewer

Alice version: 2.0 04/05/2005
os.name: Windows XP
os.version: 5.1
os.arch: x86
java.vm.name: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
java.vm.version: 1.3.1_10-b03
user.dir: C:\Program Files\Carnegie Mellon\Alice\Alice\Required

Throwable that caused the error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.galleryviewe r.GalleryViewer.<init>(GalleryViewer.java:1069)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.guiInit(CameraViewPanel.ja va:769)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.CameraViewPanel.<init>(CameraViewPanel.jav a:744)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.editors.scen eeditor.SceneEditor.<init>(SceneEditor.java:349)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. guiInit(JAliceFrame.java:156)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAliceFrame. <init>(JAliceFrame.java:71)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.mainInit(AuthoringTool.java:456)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.AuthoringToo l.<init>(AuthoringTool.java:408)
at edu.cmu.cs.stage3.alice.authoringtool.JAlice.main( JAlice.java:123)

I've been asked to install this for a class next week. It works fine for me as administrator but students receive the above error with their limited accounts. Making them administrators is *not* an option

Help!

Same problem
Old
Kurtz05

Default Same problem - 03-12-2008, 04:34 AM

BUMP. Same here.

Solution To Gallery Not Loading
Old
Chris Rouse

Default Solution To Gallery Not Loading - 03-13-2008, 04:32 AM

We had the same problem, but on our system it was caused by folder redirection pointing to a read only share.
When Alice 2.0 loads it acesses the foloing registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\desktop
If the path that is in that key points to an area that the users has no write permison then the Gallery will fail to load and the user will get a permison error when the user exits.

i hope that this helps solves the problem.

chris

Thanks , but...
Old
Kurtz05

Default Thanks , but... - 03-13-2008, 04:59 AM

Hi Chris,

Many Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I believe that this is our problem as we use roaming profiles and desktop is a no go.

So would you know what impact on Alice it would have if this entry in registry was edited to sit elsewhere? (sorry, a little unknowledgeble in this area).

Old
Chris Rouse

Default 03-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Alice needs the desktop key to be pointed to a folder With Read+Write Permison. in our case to fix the problem we set group policy to redirect the local desktop using the "redirect to the local userprofile location" option as we have the desktops turned of to stop users adding icons and shortcuts.

i hope that helps if not contact me on the forum or direct on elsep@kings-tynemouth.co.uk

Gallery Issues
Old
Mr. Ben

Default Gallery Issues - 03-20-2008, 08:26 AM

Here how I have fixed it:

My roaming profiles mean that my users will never have access to save things to the desktop, And all of my users are redirected to a single desktop area which is read only.

Once my users have logged in, the desktop has been cached on the local machine. This allows me to change the relevant HKCU entry using a vbs script(mentioned above) and it won't affect the desktop for that session.

It work like this:

The alice shortcut points to a batch file (see below for why)

The batch file runs a vbs script and then launches alice

For some reason, using objshell.run to lauch Alice in the same vbs script as the registry change won't work, the registry puts itself right before Alice has a chance to run, and you end up with the smae error.

If group policy refreshes during the login session, then alice is already running and doesn't care.

On the next login, the registry key is changed back to a redirected share.

Old
Neitzl

Thumbs up 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks Mr. Ben,
I finally got it to work by having a vbs script changing that HKCU key. My script is called from within their login script. Pretty easy to do once I knew what I needed to do.

Ernesto

Old
MDeister

Default 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM

I am also getting the Error message "Gallery viewer will not load at startup." We are running Windows Server 2008 this year, which we did not use last year. I had no problems last year.

I could use some help to solve the problem. The entire student body logs into the server and the tech does not want to change the settings for all of the students. I have 24 students in my class and he does not want to change just their settings. Is there another solution to the problem?

Thanks