Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

A problem with Saving
Old
Jess

Default A problem with Saving - 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM

Hello. I'm taking a computer science course that requires me to use Alice. I've just downloaded it on my home computer and am attempting to save a 'world', but it's not allowing me to. The error is as follows:

"CRITICAL ERROR"
NOTE: Please check for a directory co-located with your world named "Backups of <YourWorldNameHere>" which should contain previously saved versions of your world."

I know of these backup folders, i've seen them during class. They are created automatically for each world that's made.
On my computer, however, a backup folder was NOT made. I ran a search and was unable to find one. I'm not sure where I should be looking or how to save my world now, and I need to finish this world and have it saved tonight!
Please help me if you can.

Edit: I'm using a Microsoft XP operating system, and have plenty of free memory on the computer.

Last edited by Jess; 12-17-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Old
("Robby")

Default 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm not sure whats wrong.
I'v never run into that problem before.
Sorry that i can't help.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-17-2008, 05:43 PM

Couple of things could be wrong:

You could have the wrong version of Alice for your system (did you get Alice from the online download or from your teacher? make sure you don't have the mac or Linux version by mistake

You could be using elements in your world which are not compadible with the current version of Alice you're using (i.e. sound clips in Alice 2.2)

You may have accidentally done something "illegal" to one of your objects in your world and Alice has thrrown an error in response to it.

Post the error message, full text, so I can look at it and maybe find out which one it is.