Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM

A couple of comments:

1. CamStudio works fine, however it seems to be really set up for capturing tutorials on screen. What little I've tried of that, I prefer Wink.

2. I really find the best way to work is to capture (or convert to) uncompressed .avi - which gives huge files, obviously - and then go into Movie Maker to reduce the file size. The first advantage is that Movie Maker has really good save options - including a save to file size option. The second is that this approach avoids most of the odd CODEC problems - which can really be bad if you try to do any serious post processing on the video.

Having to set aside a gig or two of disk space for even a short uncompressed video can be a pain - but USB hard disks are cheap and you avoid a lot of other, less obvious problems. Just remember to delete the big file(s) when you are done.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
Chris101b
Senior Member
 
Chris101b's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 361
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default 04-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Clark View Post
Thanks for doing it for me. I'm always doing this from the school lab computers for A+ because I'm helping out my tech teacher so the computers don't really have that good of hardware. So it was really laggy when I recorded with CamStudio. Oh yea, quick question Chris. Are you thinking of doing an entire series for War Zone? Or was it more of a spure of the moment great idea thing?
Well, as you might remember, last year I made the Halo 3 Starry Night Ad and many people liked it. The only thing is that because of copyright laws and stuff, they had to cut out the sound when they posted the vid online. Well, when thinking up what I could do for this year, I thought that would make an original movie to get around all the copyright stuff. Then, after making the first war zone, so many people have praised it, that it really motivated me to create another one. So, I will make the second one and see how it goes from there. It may be a little darker and more story driven than the first, but I will make it as good as I can. That is, when I feel like making it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 04-17-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
A couple of comments:

1. CamStudio works fine, however it seems to be really set up for capturing tutorials on screen. What little I've tried of that, I prefer Wink.

2. I really find the best way to work is to capture (or convert to) uncompressed .avi - which gives huge files, obviously - and then go into Movie Maker to reduce the file size. The first advantage is that Movie Maker has really good save options - including a save to file size option. The second is that this approach avoids most of the odd CODEC problems - which can really be bad if you try to do any serious post processing on the video.

Having to set aside a gig or two of disk space for even a short uncompressed video can be a pain - but USB hard disks are cheap and you avoid a lot of other, less obvious problems. Just remember to delete the big file(s) when you are done.
CamStudio and Windows Movie Maker make a good pair. In addition to converting the AVI file to a WMV file, Movie Maker can be used to trim the front and back ends, which often have some trash resulting from having to record before starting the Alice world running and having to record a little beyond the end of the Alice world runtime.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm
   
Reply With Quote
Caution re .wmv for Mac users
Old
DrJim
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default Caution re .wmv for Mac users - 04-18-2008, 12:06 PM

If you are using a Mac and want to look at a .wmv file, I would suggest you use a viewer designed specifically for that purpose. (I know there are good, free ones - but don't have the names, not being a Mac user. Can anyone help with that? )

The .wmv and .mov formats seem to have major differences at the detail level. I suspect this is partly because of patent issues and partly competative issues - but converting between the formats is a real chore, and one that is not usually done well.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
Chris101b
Senior Member
 
Chris101b's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 361
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default 06-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Okay, I was thinking about how I would make Warzone 2. I think I have a plan. I think that I am going to wait for alice 2.2 to come out and use the convert to movie format feature to my advantage. I will make the movie scene by scene and then convert it and edit it in a program. Not only does this mean that the movie will be smoother, but I will also be more available to people. Do you think that this is a good idea? I will be able to make it longer and more complicated without it slowing down the program. When does alice 2.2 come out. I know that the beta is out, but when does the actual thing come out?
   
Reply With Quote
little idea
Old
rich0e0rick
Senior Member
 
rich0e0rick's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 141
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sturgeon Falls
Lightbulb little idea - 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM

i know i don't know much yet about real programming, but i noticed in Warzone 1 that they aren't always moving (like when one character talks to the other), making it look a little worse.

i suggest making a function that keeps making them breath a little so they are always moving in those 0.1s gaps...

thought you might want to try it, it would only take 5second to add...

p.s. WARZONE ROCKED!!!!!!!!

Rick


im back!!! FINNALY!!! got windows working on my mac again!!!

Last edited by rich0e0rick; 06-18-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: fix error
   
Reply With Quote
Old
DickBaldwin
Guest
 
Status:
Posts: n/a
Default 06-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101b View Post
Okay, I was thinking about how I would make Warzone 2. I think I have a plan. I think that I am going to wait for alice 2.2 to come out and use the convert to movie format feature to my advantage. I will make the movie scene by scene and then convert it and edit it in a program. Not only does this mean that the movie will be smoother, but I will also be more available to people. Do you think that this is a good idea? I will be able to make it longer and more complicated without it slowing down the program. When does alice 2.2 come out. I know that the beta is out, but when does the actual thing come out?
Given what you were able to produce for War Zone 1, I can't wait to see whatever you try.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm
   
Reply With Quote
Old
Chris101b
Senior Member
 
Chris101b's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 361
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default 08-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Okay, I am right now thinking up an interesting story ark for the second movie and will work on a script soon. I have decide to start working on it now instead of waiting for alice 2.2 to come out. My final plan is to make the movie one scene at a time and then when that scene is completed, I am going to record the movie from alice using a screen grab program, and then I will put it into a program and edit it scene by scene. What is the best free screen grab program to use that does not put a giant water mark all over the screen?

Last edited by Chris101b; 08-03-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
   
Reply With Quote
Old
madden
Senior Member
 
madden's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 322
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: My own little world 0.0
Default 08-03-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101b View Post
Okay, I am right now thinking up an interesting story ark for the second movie and will work on a script soon. I have decide to start working on it now instead of waiting for alice 2.2 to come out. My final plan is to make the movie one scene at a time and then when that scene is completed, I am going to record the movie from alice using a screen grab program, and then I will put it into a program and edit it scene by scene. What is the best free screen grab program to use that does not put a giant water mark all over the screen?
Awesome! Looking forward to that! =D

I would have to say the best screen recorder (in my opinion) is "camtasia"


Check out my new website - http://www.freewebs.com/maddenuser/

Special thanks to the people who are supporting me...
Drjim, rich0e0rick, Chris101b, ZED, jediaction, x2495iiii, ("Robby"), gabe, JustasM, and Shadow Sovereign.


Games...

CSS - a sidescroler/adventure game.
CASE 1.01 - a escape the room/adventure game.
In the Black and White - a shooter/adventure game.
Field Of Wonder - a adventure game
C.R.E.S - a action/adventure game.

Can you eat 10 cookies in 5 seconds?
I did.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
Chris101b
Senior Member
 
Chris101b's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 361
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Alright people, I officially began working on War Zone 2 yesterday, August 7. I built some scenery and now I am working on one of the scenes. I can't decide if I want the scene I am working on to be the openning scene or to be included later in the movie. Oh well, well see.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Copyright ©2017, Carnegie Mellon University
Alice 2.x 1999-2012, Alice 3.x 2008-2012, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.