Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
From what i know, you just downlaodit and extract and bam!
What do you mean?

(')>

Old
wcccpctutor

Default 02-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Hi x2495iiii & jediaction,

Thanks for all of your help. It is very much and greatly appreciated!!

The next chapter involves methods and a few chapters’ later functions.

I know there are primitive ones, but I would like to know the methods and events I can create, code for myself.

What keywords would be best to use with search this forum. I can do the research, but I just would like to know where to start.

I would rather not do a copy/paste of someone elses methods/events.

jediaction, where/how did you learn to do the events in your "Resident Penquins"? My wife loved it, until the Zombies kicked a field goal.

What kind of methods/events are possible?

A confusing problem:

I receive the following error quite frequently. I can go and get something to eat, drink or go to another tab to check my email and come back to:

"An error has occurred in attempting to draw the scene."

No matter which one I click, "Retry" or "Give up", I get "An unknow error has occurred".

I click "OK" and I go back to the beginning "An error has occurred. . . ". My task manager tells me the program is running.

Please, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

PS

The school has been closed, since last Thursday, after we were hit with about 20+ inches of snow. The National Weather Service is predicting another possible of 8 - 14 inches starting tomorrow morning and lasting until Wednesday night. The current temperature is 16 F.

I'm taking advantage to be better prepared for my students; and to create a few games for friends and family.

Old
jediaction

Wink 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM

1: sporry to say but x2495iiii made resident penguin. I wish i amde it but i did not and 2:Alice has always had a problem with errors and the retry and give up stuff. Just if it does not work, press give up and an error will pop up. Press ok and save your program, then restart Alice. If you would m please check out my games too. Im working on others and trying to drift away from FPS

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time
Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Sorry, x2495iiii, for the mistake. I don't know how I did that.

Will reply more tomorrow. The wife is home and the rest of the night belongs to her and me.

Later,

wcccpctutor

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Glad you liked RP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcccpctutor View Post
What keywords would be best to use with search this forum. I can do the research, but I just would like to know where to start.
Not sure. I guess if it was me, I'd try a bunch of different keywords and searches to see what kinds of info turned up from it.

If you have a specific one you'd like explained (or need a quick-summary list), both jediaction and I can do that.

Quote:
What kind of methods/events are possible?
That'd take a whole thread to explain. I recommend trying each one of the events, then right-clicking them all to see what kind of stuff they can be changed to as well.

Quote:
I receive the following error quite frequently. I can go and get something to eat, drink or go to another tab to check my email and come back to:

No matter which one I click, "Retry" or "Give up", I get "An unknow error has occurred".

I click "OK" and I go back to the beginning "An error has occurred. . . ". My task manager tells me the program is running.
I get that whenever my computer's display driver makes a significant change (windows defender asks me for an action, my computer goes into standby, I try to watch something in fullscreen, etc), but the errors, thugh thy're sometimes quite numerous, always resolve for me if I just click Retry (for the graphics) and Cancel (for the mean queens).

Quote:
The school has been closed, since last Thursday, after we were hit with about 20+ inches of snow. The National Weather Service is predicting another possible of 8 - 14 inches starting tomorrow morning and lasting until Wednesday night. The current temperature is 16 F.

I'm taking advantage to be better prepared for my students; and to create a few games for friends and family.
Awesome!

Quote:
Will reply more tomorrow. The wife is home and the rest of the night belongs to her and me.
Awwww.

(')>

Old
jediaction

Default 02-09-2010, 08:46 AM

I hoe you read my answer for the screen problem

Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Hi x2495iiii & jediaction,

A post this thread one day last week:
"A confusing problem:

I received the following error quite frequently. I can go and get something to eat, drink, check on another application, or check my email and come back to:

I click "OK" and I go back to the beginning "An error has occurred. . . ". My task manager tells me the program is running."

I'm still have the same problem, when at home.

However, I was down at the school today, tutoring, but worked on Alice in-between students.

I did not have one problem with the previous mentioned errors. I closed and opened and saved with out having to open the world backup. Alice worked like a charm.

Now all of the errors, At Home, would give me 2 separate dialog boxes, one on top of the other one. I would click the first one and the other one would appear from behind. I can't remember which one stated which error, but there were numerous of each ones. I ended up using the Task Manger to stop the process.

I'll be working on Alice later, so when they pop up I'll make note of the errors. On the other hand I would hope that this will stop.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

Old
jediaction

Default 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM

Well, i do have to say i have had this happen to me many times. I think form what you typed your program goes black and it has the error of the retry and the give up. 80% of the time, retry never works. I dont think i can put out a solution with the information I have so far. Could you explain exactly how and when the black screen comes up?

Old
wcccpctutor

Default Tutoring in Alice For The 1st Time - 02-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Well, i do have to say i have had this happen to me many times. I think form what you typed your program goes black and it has the error of the retry and the give up. 80% of the time, retry never works. I dont think i can put out a solution with the information I have so far. Could you explain exactly how and when the black screen comes up?
Sorry about the long delay with replying back.

I have a print screen of the incident. If there is a way to send an attachment and you would like to see for yourself, please let me know.

Last night, after I got home, I was going to show my wife one of the worlds I made. I hit play and the error message popped up. The view was black when I looked up.

"A error has occured in attempting to draw the scene. Simply retrying might fix the problem. "Retry" and "Give up"

I knew better to try and used the Task Manager to stop the program. There was not a "Not Responding" message, but did see "Running" under the "Status" column.

As I mentioned, in my previous post, I did not have a problem, not one problem, with Alice at my job site. (I am a professional tutor, at my local community college. I tutor in Alice, Programming Design and Logic, and other computer subjects. I work on Alice between students.)

I was there from 8:30 to around 4:45. The program, at times, sat idle (not used) for at least an hour +/- throughout the day. When I went back to Alice, the program ran without any error messages.

The problems only happens at home. I would open a new world at home and save it instantly and received an error message right before or right after the saving would begin or finish. I do not recall the message for this one, but I know I'll see it again some time today. I do not tutor on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

I'll keep track of the error messages I receive today and will post the results later this afternoon or early evening.

Let me know if you, or anyone else, would like info about my pc and the other applications.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

wcccpctutor

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I have a print screen of the incident. If there is a way to send an attachment and you would like to see for yourself, please let me know.
When you post again, scroll down blow the text area. There will be a button called "Manage Attachments" which will let you post pictures, zip files, and .doc files (and .a2w files of course).

Post your world as well if you'd like, so I can see if there's a specific error I can fix.

(')>