Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Car Test
Old
bamafaninknx

Default Car Test - 01-11-2008, 05:19 AM

I am a homeschool teacher. My kids have been learning with the "Learning to Program with Alice" book. We are on Chapter 6, and I have a question. We simply cannot do one of the exercises. Is there any way that one of you geniuses could help us out with the Driver's test exercise.

What needs to happen is:

A car needs to be set up with 5 orange cones. A gate needs to be set up at the end of the cones. That much we can do. What we can't do is this. We need a text saying " You Fail!" to pop up when the car hits the cones or the gate, and a "You Pass!" sign to pop up when the car goes fully through the cones and the gate. Somehow it is supposed to use If/else and a function isTooclose in regards to the car's distance to the cone. Please help us out. We are stumped on this and need help. If anyone would be gracious enough to make this, that would be awesome. I just need to see how it is done, and then I can recreate it for them.

my email is j.zavadil@cox.net if you can email it.

Sincerely,
Josh

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM

See if this helps.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm
Attached Files
File Type: a2w TooClose.a2w (836.9 KB, 555 views)

Homeschool resources?
Old
DataBoy

Default Homeschool resources? - 02-15-2008, 05:55 PM

Hello everyone.

We're homeschoolers too, in South Florida, and we've got a small group of nose-pickers-on-up that I'm going to bring online forthwith. Alice sure looks like the answer, and I'm particularly interested in any grade4+ ideas, etc..

I think that Dr. Caitlin Kelleher's work is outstanding, and wonder if anyone can point me at any similar resources that we can wend into home-based support materials.

We have a very high quality enrichment program ( http://theexaminedlife.org ) in various areas, and we hope to be adding Alice to our plans for next year. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Help
Old
soccerscoots4

Default Help - 06-06-2009, 02:56 PM

I am also working on the drivers test right now and i saw how you gave that tooclose.a2w but my computer will not open that is there any other way to access that?

Old
dubastot

Default 06-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Ya, just open a world in alice on the start screen.