Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

scripting, file I/O,Serial Port Access
Old
3duser

Default scripting, file I/O,Serial Port Access - 02-03-2006, 10:02 AM

In the latest Alice 2.0b, how can python/jython scripting be enabled? If it is not supported, is there a link to a download of a version that supports scripting, other than Alice99. I need to do file I/O and also serial port access. The only way I can figure out to do this is with scripting. The version of Python is Alice99 does not support any of the serial port modules I could find. So, if possible

1. Can scripting be enabled in the latest Alice v2.0?
2. If not, is there a link to a download of a version, other then Alice99, that supports scripting? Or, are there serial port modules that will work with
Alice99?
3. Can file I/O be done with the latest Alice v2.0?
4. Can serial port I/O be done with the latest Alice v2.0?

Thanks.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 02-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Alice 2.0 does support scripting, but it is not enabled in its current incarnation. You will have to go into the source code and enable it yourself. The source code can be downloaded by scrolling to the bottom of the Alice download page:

http://www.alice.org/downloads/authoringtool/

I also believe file I/O can be done. Again, this would require going into the source code and modifying the code. Feel free do try this. Others with enough motivation have modified the source code with varying degrees of success. Please let us know how it turns out!

Old
3duser

Default 02-09-2006, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the information. Any hints on enabling scripting. Also, any hints on making Alice from the source code. What is needed to do so.

Thanks again.