Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Jython, Save Files, and Multiplayer
Old
jediaction

Default Jython, Save Files, and Multiplayer - 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Hold on, whats this Python scripting. I dont know what this is, can someone let me in on this and Zach Strife. You can make a game out of midgar but make it a game

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Niteshifter

Default 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Hold on, whats this Python scripting. I dont know what this is, can someone let me in on this and Zach Strife. You can make a game out of midgar but make it a game
Here's a wikia article made by Zonedabone that explains using Jython within Alice: http://alice.wikia.com/wiki/Scripting

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Hmm. I'll post a world that saves it's game as an example for all to see soon. For now, keep checking my scripting article. I'm adding to it often!

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks, and im waiting

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM

That wasn't too hard! This file saves it's data in your shared computer profile (i.e. shared documents) on a PC. I don't use mac's or linux, so I can't make it for them. I'm working on a script that will load each line seperately into a list. I will also soon make a function that converts stings to numbers.

http://alice.org/community/showthread.php?p=16841

PC ONLY

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

Yeah
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Yeah - 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM

Yeah I agree with that the contest is for the best overall game but the Jython scripting method can and will be implemented into the best games from now on. This feature will quickly be able to create save files(Well it is but only text saves), and I am looking in to the posibility of multiplayer over the internet cabibilities. It has already been shown to download files wich should allow me to create a multiplayer engine once we can make the text variables.

Old
jediaction

Default 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Gamer(gorit) View Post
Yeah I agree with that the contest is for the best overall game but the Jython scripting method can and will be implemented into the best games from now on. This feature will quickly be able to create save files(Well it is but only text saves), and I am looking in to the posibility of multiplayer over the internet cabibilities. It has already been shown to download files wich should allow me to create a multiplayer engine once we can make the text variables.

Ive already started "Hero's Battles". The complete Online FPS! Everything is already set, and i have the achivements and challenges. Im working on gun textures to unlock, because if you can save, you can make profiles. Im working on everything except the going online

Ohhh
Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default Ohhh - 02-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Well If you would like help programing the online part I have several ideas. I will not help u though if it is for the contest. I was thinking to make a game with several maps including one training map that you would set up your account, and gives you the basics of gameplay. I was planning though to get a dev team for modeling and all the maps which would be in there own files.
P.S. I think I said to much L.O.L.

Old
zonedabone

Default 02-12-2010, 06:51 PM

WOAH!!!! We're getting ahead of ourselves! A server for multi-player would be immense, and it would be very hard to implement. I'll write save scripts for anyone as long as they don't get used in the competition! Sorry, but I wouldn't want to make someone else's entry!

Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default 02-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
WOAH!!!! We're getting ahead of ourselves! A server for multi-player would be immense, and it would be very hard to implement. I'll write save scripts for anyone as long as they don't get used in the competition! Sorry, but I wouldn't want to make someone else's entry!
Yeah zonedabone I do realize that which is why I have not beagan anything with the world because I know I can build the server stuff we need, I have ways to implement it but it would never be a comp peice that is why I want an entire development team with beta testers several coder to implement the codes into each of the worlds, modelers, and researchers, and lastly one person to overview the project, Me!!.