Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Stumped
Old
ShakeYoSenses

Default Stumped - 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Im doin exercise 1 on page 177-178

Im thinking the best way to do it is make 4 different positions in the world and then use if/then statement for making them move in the right place when clicked...How do I make positions? and if there is a better way please let me know.

help

"Drop dummy at selected object"
Old
DrJim

Default "Drop dummy at selected object" - 11-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Don't know about the problem but to mark a position.
1. Click on "Add Objects"
2. Click on "more controls"
3. Select the object whose current position you want to mark
4. Click on "drop dummy at selected object"

A group of dummy objects will appear in the object tree and will include the dummy position you just created. You should rename this to something meaningfull.

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Default 11-27-2006, 04:28 PM

That, and you could try adding some shapes or some random objects, set either their opacity to 0% or set their IsShowing to False, and put them where you need your positions. That way, you can make effective use of the Move To method.

Then again, that's basically a spinoff of Jim's idea anyway, isn't it? Either way, it should work.

The two approachs are almost the same.
Old
DrJim

Wink The two approachs are almost the same. - 11-27-2006, 08:07 PM

As "the Shadow" says - the two methods are essentially the same. The only differences is that the only properties associated with the dummy object are position and orientation. This seems to stress Alice a little bit less (Alice does not like lots of objects) but I'm not sure how real this is.

The disadvantage, however, is the the dummy objects are a little harder to locate because they can't be seen. Personally I tend to use both approaches - dummies for setups and hidden objects to mark paths.

OOooh... I have a nickname now? SWEET!
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Cool OOooh... I have a nickname now? SWEET! - 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
As "the Shadow" says....
"The Shadow?".....Hmm.... I could get used to that name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
...dummy objects are a little harder to locate because they can't be seen.
Not true in my case... I've been using them in my first-person shooter (which is, sorry to say, still under construction! ) and unless if I make them invisible, they are quite hard to miss when they're close up or at a distance. They look like transparent axes (plural axis, not the melee weapon that makes a huge mess everywhere! )