Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How can a character Say all numbers in array in the same bubble?
Old
man007

Default How can a character Say all numbers in array in the same bubble? - 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM

I am doing a program to sort an array of numbers. I have the logic working but i wanted to make a character say all the numbers before they are sorted and after they are sorted. I can do that one by one but i was wondering if i can do it at the same time. For example Say "100,200,300" in the same bubble. I can also use Print to output on the bottom of screen but that is kinda of annoying too because it looks like "the value world.mylogic.Unnamed1_Unnamed2_Unnamed 3 is 100" and so on. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

Old
rankhornjp

Default 03-28-2010, 10:41 AM

create a method:

"object" say "hello"

click "world" in the object tree, then Functions tab
replace "hello" with "[a] joined with [b]"
replace [a] with "[what] as a string" and select "expressions" then the variable.
do the same with [b].

you can also do: "[a] joined with {[a] joined with [b]}" to give you 3 variables or strings joined together. You can do this with as many "[a] joined with [b]s" as necessary to get the number of phrases you want.

Last edited by rankhornjp; 03-28-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarity

Old
WolfHawk

Default 03-28-2010, 04:28 PM

I don't know who you are or what you do, but I LOVE YOU!!!!! Your answer to the above question turned a key in my head for a project I'm working on!!!!! I GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Old
man007

Default 03-28-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankhornjp View Post
create a method:

"object" say "hello"

click "world" in the object tree, then Functions tab
replace "hello" with "[a] joined with [b]"
replace [a] with "[what] as a string" and select "expressions" then the variable.
do the same with [b].

you can also do: "[a] joined with {[a] joined with [b]}" to give you 3 variables or strings joined together. You can do this with as many "[a] joined with [b]s" as necessary to get the number of phrases you want.
Thank you but i am aware of that way and it does work. I can make the character "say item0 from array", "item1 from array and so on" with using "a joined with b". I wanted to have a loop of outputting multiple values from an array using the index and display them in the same bubble though. I'm not sure if that's even possible . Thanks again.

Old
zonedabone

Default 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM

I show best by example, so look over this code!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Array to string.a2w (176.2 KB, 30 views)

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Old
man007

Default 03-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedabone View Post
I show best by example, so look over this code!
I love your style Show best by example.

OK, i got it to work!!! Yay!!! My string variable was the issue. Thanks for your help, this works great and it's exactly what i needed.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w assignment7.a2w (575.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by man007; 03-29-2010 at 11:49 AM.