Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Where did I see all those properties?
Old
Maggie

Question Where did I see all those properties? - 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM

I know I'm going to sound like the crazy lady at the beginning of the movie who saw the murder and the police don't believe her...

but...

Somewhere in my wanderings I think I dragged a function tile into an assignment statement or perhaps I dragged it into a method call, and I saw a huge pop-up list of object properties. These were not the properties that you see when you click on an object and then click the Properties tab. This was a huge list of properties that made me salivate. Heretofore unseen properties that I thought I should have access to, but could never find. But I was in the middle of doing something else, that wasn't what I wanted, and I figured I'd just pull it up and look it over later.

But I have no idea where it was! I thought I had found it under the "other" category of functions, but I can't find it again.

Can anybody be my Columbo/Jessica Fletcher/Sherlock Holmes and tell me where I saw this list??

Thank you so much in advance,
Maggie

Old
lanceA

Default 09-23-2007, 06:02 PM

Once your knight enlightens you, please share with the group.

Old
Ping

Default 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM

I think a description of what sort of properties you stumbled upon would be nice instead of the ones that make you salivate...

I would be glad to help you if you give me a little more information

Old
Maggie

Default 09-23-2007, 06:16 PM

I would list them specifically if I could remember. It was a huge list of properties -- does that sound at all familiar? I was in the middle of something else and had dragged something over by mistake, and that's when I saw the list, but I quickly released the mouse because it was wrong, thinking I could easily get it back and look at it later. I want to say that x, y, and z coordinates were available separately, but I'm not positive about that... but it looked far more low-level than the stuff we see in properties. I think if you'd seen this list before, you'd know.

Old
Ping

Default 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM

You said you pulled something over into the method...then the list opened... dosen't a list pop up every time you drag something over to the method? :P

Old
Maggie

Default 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Dear Ping,

If you're aware of a tile that you can drop into a method as an argument that causes a huge list of object properties to pop up, please let me know what tile and what method. I think that if somebody has seen a huge list of properties, they would know what I'm talking about because I've only seen this list once, and I can't find it again.

Usually what pops up is other variables that are of the proper type. For example, if I drop into an argument that's a number argument, then I'll see a list of numbers, I'll get a cascading menu for expressions (variables), or I could type in my own number. Similarly for boolean, I'll get true, false, expressions. If I drop into an argument that's an object argument, I'll see a list of objects and cascading menus that specify the entire object or sub-part.

This was a list of object properties. Have you ever seen a list of object properties pop up? That's what I'm looking for. I may be describing how it came up incorrectly, I was in a hurry and I honestly don't remember what I did now, since I couldn't reproduce it. I may not remember what properties. But I do remember that it was properties. I've never seen it since. If you've ever seen a list of object properties pop up, tell me where and I'll tell you whether that's what I saw or not.

Thanks,
Maggie

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 09-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Maggie,

I don't recall ever having seen a long list of object properties matching your description. If you do figure out how to expose them again, please tell the rest of us how to do it.

Dick Baldwin

Old
Maggie

Default 09-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Dick,

Believe me, I've looked high and low for them! I'm afraid it was a bug!

But if I do find them again, I will post about it -- very excited!!

Maggie

Old
DrJim

Default 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM

One thing that sounds (very remotely) like it might be what you are describing is the list of world level functions. In any case, it's worth a look if you haven't already done so (sounds like you probably have). In addition to individual x,y, and z values - listed as right/left, forward/back and up/down - you can get the current date (day, month and year), do radian/degree conversions and several other useful things - most of which are at the bottom of the list so not something you'd see most of the time.

Probably not what you're looking for, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Where did I see all those properties?
Old
hgs

Default Where did I see all those properties? - 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM

The only times I've been surprised by seeing lots of properties were when I discovered/noticed the "more..." option at the end of some methods, and that it was right-clickable, and the time I first noticed that the elements in bluish boxes could be changed once set.

Some objects have huge sub-hierarchies, and dragging to the right on some menu items will turn up quite a lot of entries. I don't know how experienced you are, but most of these require you to right-click to discover these things.

Since these menus are generated according to which objects are passed to which methods, it would be difficult to do something like search the source code to turn up this combination that you saw before, unless you can narrow it down. Maybe telling us which objects/characters were in use at the time if you remember. Then someone may be able to tell you if any have particularly large menus associated with them.

Otherwise, you saw the perfect murder: no clues left anywhere :-)