Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Giving High School Credit
Old
Tera B

Default Giving High School Credit - 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM

I would like to know if you give high school credit for taking the Alice lessons and how do you give them credit? For example: do you count it as an elective and do you give them full or partial credit?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 01-09-2012, 11:46 AM

That's up to the instructors. Alice is a tool used for teaching programming, and it's usually used for Intro to Object Oriented Programming classes or similar subjects. I don't think there are any accredited High School lessons offered through the forums or electronically from Carnegie-Mellon University, however, so again, it would be up to the teachers to use Alice in their own classes.

(')>

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM

My high school has "Java Programming in 3D with ALICE" as a semester-long class. The teacher gives us a goal and we do stuff in Alice that fulfills the requirements. It's what you would call an "Easy Class" since in terms of Computer Science the teacher themselves generally are learning how to do it at the same time you are (Though often with more experience in the subject). The case is the same this year in AP Computer Science AB, because they changed the subject from C to Java, and the teacher only knows C.
The Alice class counts as an Elective and has a prerequisite of taking Computer Applications (Using Windows for Dummies.) I believe that prerequisite will go away now that Computer Apps is no longer a required class to graduate.

Tags
high school credit