Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Educators > Teaching with Alice

Modeling & Texture Mapping Tutorials
Old
teast

Default Modeling & Texture Mapping Tutorials - 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Greetings,

As part of an independent study course at Purdue University, I am developing a series of tutorials on techniques for importing and/or modifying models for Alice 2.2. I wanted to share what I have thus far as both a resource for others and a way to get feedback from others before I finish out the course. If anyone has any suggestions or issues with the tutorials, please feel free to share.

http://www.theeastfamily.net/tutoria...tutorials.html

Travis East
Technology Education Teacher
Indian Creek High School
teast@excite.com

Last edited by teast; 07-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-20-2010, 12:15 AM

These look great! It's good to see that SPIRIT's still going! I attended in 2008 (I think) and my world was one of the winners for the final project contest. Now that was fun.

Is there any way, you could make alternate versions or recommendations for users with freeware? Almost all of the software I own is freeware and I've spent quite some time trying to duplicate the results of programs like PhotoShop, 3DS Max, Maya, and the like (with surprising success, though I lack a comprehensive knowledge of complex modeling). I know these programs are available to all students at Purdue (working with Maya was too fun when I was there), but to people working from personal computers, programs like Blender, GIMP, MeshLab, and MilkShape are more readily available.

Also, I don't know if this is something you personally can address, but the pdf files don't load properly when using Chrome. They're fine in IE, however.

Thanks again for making these, I'm sure they'll be very helpful to many learning Alice users.

AutoDesk 2011
Old
teast

Default AutoDesk 2011 - 07-20-2010, 07:29 AM

All of the software programs used in the tutorials can be downloaded for free by any student or teacher in the world with a high speed connection. The only restriction is that you are under a 13 month license, which means you have to upgrade to the next version in 13 months. In 2012, you then have a 13 month license to the next version as part of an educational facility (K-Graduate School). You simply can't profit from your work with the programs. You have to agree only to use the programs for educational purposes. The only program used in the tutorials that is not free is Adobe Photoshop. However, you can easily substitute that program for any graphics program you are comfortable.

The URL for the software is : http://www.students.autodesk.com

There are even free Mac versions of Maya 2011 and Mudbox 2011.

Check them out,

Travis

Old
King Gamer(gorit)

Default 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm dpreased. I do a tut and then everyone else does one and mine got buried in like 1 day.

Old
arty-fishL

Thumbs up 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM

no, your video is very good. More tutorials means more resources and more resources are much more useful when combined together.

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 07-23-2010, 01:21 AM

Especially considering the tutorials included with Alice leave much to be desired (*cough* functionality *cough*).

Texture Mapping on a Mac
Old
teast

Default Texture Mapping on a Mac - 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM

I have created a version of the "Texture Mapping Models from Solid Modeling Software" specifically for Mac OS X users if anyone is interested in seeing it.

http://www.theeastfamily.net/tutoria...tutorials.html

When you click on the link in the bottom right hand side of the page (the one with the Battleship), it will display a page where you can decide whether you are working with Windows or a Mac operating system.

Travis East
Indian Creek High School
Technology Education Program

Auto desk reg.
Old
GoGators

Location: In a house in a city in a state in a continent in a planet in a galaxy
Default Auto desk reg. - 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM

OK I really want to get the free autodesk software, but I am home schooled and do not have a "school e-mail" Can someone share thier school e-mail with me please!PLEASE!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature is under renovation.
  Send a message via Yahoo to GoGators  
AutoDesk & Home School
Old
teast

Wink AutoDesk & Home School - 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM

AutoDesk offers the software free to home schooled students as well. Please see the link below.

http://engineeringeducation.typepad....schoolers.html

Travis

Custom Paint Jobs for Google Sketchup
Old
teast

Default Custom Paint Jobs for Google Sketchup - 08-10-2010, 11:28 PM

I just uploaded a version of the "Custom Paint Jobs for Solid Models" tutorial that demonstrates a workflow for importing Google Sketchup models into Alice with custom textures. In all of these tutorials, I have tried to keep the theme of the most simple straight forward workflow. I have purposely avoided using Blender because of its intimidating interface (to both students and teachers).

http://www.theeastfamily.net/tutoria...ionchoice.html

Travis East

Tags
3dsmax, mapping, maya, modeling, texture