Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Modifications on Zeus World question
Old
SEW

Default Modifications on Zeus World question - 07-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently working on my chapter 6 assignment and have hit a snag.

The #6 exercise asks you to make the philosophers talk and use an IF statement to determine which philosopher was clicked. My issue is the chapter doesn't give any examples on using events/functions together and so far the only way I know how to make someone talk is to make an event that makes them speak when clicked on. Is that how you are supposed to do it?

Here is what I have so far, thank you for any and all help!
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Zeus World Mod..a2w (3.78 MB, 4 views)

Last edited by SEW; 07-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Update
Old
SEW

Default Update - 07-19-2013, 05:49 PM

I have figured out how to make homer say D'oh and fall down for the second part of the problem, now I just need some advice on how to use an IF statement to determine which philosopher was clicked on. Thank you for your time

Here's my updated world
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Zeus World Mod..a2w (3.80 MB, 4 views)

Old
chickentree
Super Moderator

Default 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEW View Post
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently working on my chapter 6 assignment and have hit a snag.

The #6 exercise asks you to make the philosophers talk and use an IF statement to determine which philosopher was clicked. My issue is the chapter doesn't give any examples on using events/functions together and so far the only way I know how to make someone talk is to make an event that makes them speak when clicked on. Is that how you are supposed to do it?

Here is what I have so far, thank you for any and all help!
The chapter actually walks through the entire philosophers movie. The best way to work with Alice is to sit down with the book and a computer running Alice. As you read through the book follow along with Alice but also ask youself what effect different changes would have and try them out in Alice.
This method is slower than speed skimming the book but it does have the advantage of helping you to actually understand the concepts and improves your skills working with Alice.

Mark

Old
SEW

Default Thanks :) - 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickentree View Post
The chapter actually walks through the entire philosophers movie. The best way to work with Alice is to sit down with the book and a computer running Alice. As you read through the book follow along with Alice but also ask youself what effect different changes would have and try them out in Alice.
This method is slower than speed skimming the book but it does have the advantage of helping you to actually understand the concepts and improves your skills working with Alice.

Mark
You're right, I did figure out how to do it using what I learned in the chapter. Actually I had the philosophers set up correctly, but I was making the assignment harder than it was by adding an extra parameter that called the philosophers when all I had to do was put them into If/Else statements. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, thank you chickentree