Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

'Distance to' function???
Old
MoonKitsune

Default 'Distance to' function??? - 10-04-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm trying to make parameter, which is very frustrating to me. I need to make something move to an object and when making it, have to use the 'distance to' function. Thing is, I don't know where to find it! Any help on this?

Old
Ping

Default 10-04-2007, 05:03 PM

its under the Functions List when you select an object.

Additonal questions on how to do a parameter...
Old
MoonKitsune

Default Additonal questions on how to do a parameter... - 10-04-2007, 08:09 PM

If you have not done so already, complete lab 2B-3 (Textbook exercise 6 in Chapter 2). Create a world-level method with a single parameter for the object being attracted (but not for the car). Use the distance to function and an expression to determine how far each object should move toward the magnet.

This is my assignmanet. I have 'mana' a person, surronded by objects, and they move to the magnet in her hand. I tried making a Parameter, but nothing works the way I want it to.
Say, 'compass' moved to 'magnet' 2.5 meters. While another object might take 4 meters. How would I make a parameter for this to work with the 'distance to' function? (I found it in the functions list, but I can't move it over to work in the way it should. )

((If you have not done so already, complete lab 2B-3 (Textbook exercise 6 in Chapter 2). Create a world-level method with a single parameter for the object being attracted (but not for the car). Use the distance to function and an expression to determine how far each object should move toward the magnet.))

Last edited by MoonKitsune; 10-04-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Adding image

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 10-04-2007, 09:42 PM

It looks to me like you may be able to benefit from studying the free online Alice tutorials at http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm