Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 3 > How Do I?

Alice v3 open source? Cross platform?
Old
chombee

Default Alice v3 open source? Cross platform? - 03-20-2006, 07:29 AM

Hi,

I notice that Alice so far has been open source, and the Carnegie Mellon press-release could be read as suggesting Alice v3 will be open source also, but it doesn't explicitly say this. Can anyone confirm whether the intention is to make it open source or not?

This may have been asked before but will the art content for Alice 3 be freely available as for Alice 2?

Also what platforms do you intend to support? As I understand it Alice is made using the Panda3D engine which has great cross-platform support, but it looks like Alice 2 runs on Windows and Mac, but not any free software platform (such as Linux, that we use for all our computer science courses here at Edinburgh university).

Old
chombee

Default 03-20-2006, 07:45 AM

Follow-up: I just read this thread:

http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=155

in which it seems the Alice developers are working on porting Alice to GNU/Linux, which is great news. I assume they mean Alice 2, so the question about platform-support still stands for Alice 3.

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 03-31-2006, 10:48 AM

Alice 3.0 will support multiple platforms -- PC, Mac and Linux.

It will remain open source and free.

The Sims resources will be distributed as part of the Alice system, and can only be used as part of the system.

Duh
Old
Cyb3rAssassin

Default Duh - 03-23-2007, 08:57 AM

According to the Alice Book they already have a copy of alice made specifically for apple and linux.

ps Linux is AWESOME

Well..
Old
PogoDaMonkey

Unhappy Well.. - 03-23-2007, 10:07 AM

On a morbid note, it will be interesting to see the Sims objects and such be implemented in a way that it remains open source. People dont always read the liscense it comes with, and on a computer its alot easier to do many different things with programs.

indeed
Old
Cyb3rAssassin

Default indeed - 03-23-2007, 09:23 PM

yes that will be interesting man the sims is awesome although it is not my favorite computer game. yay UT2003(unreal tournament 2003)

insert obligatory matrix quote here
Old
DrAltaica

Default insert obligatory matrix quote here - 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
It will remain open source and free.
What do you mean by 'open source'? Is it going to be a OSI approved license or "Look but don't touch" license?

Old
Travel

Default 02-22-2008, 11:58 PM

"open source"
I am Chinese I don't understand what does "open source" mean in Chinese translation, but I guess he want to express "easy exam"?

Last edited by Travel; 09-11-2008 at 10:18 PM.