Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Recent problems opening Alice 2.2
Old
jawebste

Default Recent problems opening Alice 2.2 - 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM

We have been using Alice 2.2 for two years, this is the third with no previous problems, thankfully. Alice is installed on the C drive of each computer. We run Windows XP on a school network and just this summer upgraded our Office 2003 to Office 2010. We do not, and haven't in the past, ever been able to update Java because we do not have administrator privileges. Our tech person usually updates everything a couple times a year. Now Alice was opening very slow at the beginning of the year and today after 7 days of school Alice would not open at all. It is also behaving erratically on other machines in the lab. For example, though the tutorials would run for my students, only half of them had audio from the penguin tutorial. Any ideas about Office 2010 or other things that might be a conflict with Alcie 2.2?
Thanks, Jean-Ann Webster

Old
Mr Kidnapper

Default 09-17-2011, 12:19 AM

Alice is entirely isolated from all other programs. It even uses its own special version of Java placed inside its folder so you don't have to install Java. Now, I don't particularly understand why your IT does not have administrator privileges (Or how he manages to install anything without them) so what happens if you use Slow and Steady Alice?
Perhaps check if the computers are faulty by playing various sound types outside of Alice, more importantly stereo .WAVs with non-float PCM encoding and .MP3s with WavPack encoding. These are the only file type requirements for Alice. For bit depth and sample rate, you can pretty much go as high as you want.

Old
aikmin

Default 03-05-2012, 04:40 AM

Don't worry about that error. Just click OK, and everything will be fine. You should not see it every time you start up. If you want to know what caused that error, here is a short explanation.

Alice is written in Java, and the Java .remove() method is causing the problem. There is currently no solution to the problem, but many had suggested different workaround to fix the problem. I am not sure if their suggestion is applicable to Alice 2.2, and since recreating the error is very difficult (Probable only get that error once every 20 times you start up Alice - Probably never if you just start, close and restart Alice over and over without doing anything.), a fix for this error will take some time.

If anyone wants to help test the new fix, you can download the version from http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/aik_min/

After download, please update the software using the "Alice update" in the "help" menu.

Message me if you still see the error in the new version.

win 7 errors
Old
walleyewilly

Default win 7 errors - 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm having similar problems. I have win 7 with an amd quad with a 1g video card. My system works good and runs everything else fine. Alice seems to have gotten worse for me the last few days. I deleted Alice and redownloaded. I deleted my Java stuff and re-installed. It is started to give similar errors even upon opening Alice. We're having trouble in the classroom also. but the teacher doesn't know why.

Old
rihanaeg

Default 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
I have the exact same error when I run Alice sometimes. The fix for me is to generally keep trying.
I found an easier fix, which was to restart Alice.exe with Process Hacker and set it to Realtime/High priority very quickly. The process would then reach +200MB memory and run flawlessly. If it got stuck at 160-170MB memory, then it would either give the error and not run, or give the error and still run. It seemed to be the fix for a lot of programs, like Firefox before I got a new computer.
The error didn't seem to come up for me until I erroneously clicked one of the JRE files inside of the resources folder system, and now it won't stop giving the error no matter what I do or reinstall.
me too

Last edited by x2495iiii; 04-29-2013 at 06:21 PM.
  Send a message via Yahoo to rihanaeg  
Old
miraeg

Default 05-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kidnapper View Post
I have the exact same error when I run Alice sometimes. The fix for me is to generally keep trying.
I found an easier fix, which was to restart Alice.exe with Process Hacker and set it to Realtime/High priority very quickly. The process would then reach +200MB memory and run flawlessly. If it got stuck at 160-170MB memory, then it would either give the error and not run, or give the error and still run. It seemed to be the fix for a lot of programs, like Firefox before I got a new computer.
The error didn't seem to come up for me until I erroneously clicked one of the JRE files inside of the resources folder system, and now it won't stop giving the error no matter what I do or reinstall.
yeah , me too

http://www.nile7.com ,
http://www.nile7.com/readings/about-us-nile7 ,
http://www.nile7.com/blog,
http://www.nile7.com/services
  Send a message via Yahoo to miraeg  
New release coming
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default New release coming - 05-05-2013, 09:02 AM

This Tuesday, Alice 2.3.4 will be posted to download and install... If you are able to start Alice 2.3, you may go to the Help menu, select Update Software, and update to Alice 2.3.4 now...

Let us know if this helps...

Thanks,

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Failed
Old
MrMoke

Default Failed - 05-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Running 2.3.3 on home computer. Tried the on-line update. It reports "2.3 update available", but gives "File Not Found" error when I attempt to start it.

Windows 7 64 bit - Problems
Old
djslater107
Administrator

Default Windows 7 64 bit - Problems - 05-06-2013, 07:12 AM

I will look into this...

Sorry

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University

Thanks
Old
MrMoke

Default Thanks - 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Tried it on my laptop this morning, and it worked OK.

Next UP, Whole Classroom

Also, on the home computer, I right-clicked on the shortcut, selected "Run as Administrator", and it then worked too.

Last edited by MrMoke; 05-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.