Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How do I apply a texture to a cube?
Old
groucho

Default How do I apply a texture to a cube? - 04-28-2008, 06:26 AM

I tried to apply the same simple texture to different shape objects (see the attached sample world).

While the results for the sphere and the cylinder looks straightforward, no texture is shown for the cube.

Also, the results for the box and the icosahedron look rather strange.

Can someone tell me how textures are applied in Alice and why there is no texture for the cube object?
Attached Files
File Type: a2w textureTest.a2w (103.5 KB, 112 views)

Texture Mapping for Alice "simple" shapes
Old
DrJim

Default Texture Mapping for Alice "simple" shapes - 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Like virtually all of the Alice objects, the shapes seem to have been designed by different people and without a generally agreed on standard for texture (UV) mapping. Good for variety and evaluating different approachs - but a problem with simple things like this.

While the shapes in general map at about 512 pixels per meter, there are many exceptions, including the cube. For that particular shape, I recommend just using the box, which does map OK.

If you are going to do a lot of this, I recommend making a set of your own shapes with the texture mappings you want and importing them into Alice. There are instructions elsewhere in the forum and some simple shapes for import at http://www.alice.org/community/showt...ighlight=shape .