Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Importing Images
Old
SkyStrife

Default Importing Images - 11-16-2006, 09:01 AM

Hey, i am in my first year of university, we have been given a group project to incorporate everything we have learned about alice.

We are in the process of creating a FPS game. However we want to have an introduction screen at the start - with instructions on how to play the game.

Problem/Question-

I am unable to import an image i have made in photoshop, be it in GIF format or JPEG format into alice.

I go file, Import, File/image name..

and nothing happens? Is it just me or is any one else having this problem? Please get back to me with a solution as soon as possible. Thank you.

Import Images as "Billboards"
Old
DrJim

Thumbs up Import Images as "Billboards" - 11-16-2006, 05:08 PM

Images are best imported as " billboards" unless you specifically want to use them as a texture for an object (in that case you can import them directly using the object properties window). Choose the "Make Billboard" option from the File menu and go from there - the Import window will list the supported file types for you.

I've never had any problems with any of the formats, but if I have a choice, I'll either use .jpeg to keep files small or .png, which is the format most of the CMU images use. Alpha level transparency is supported for .png (and, I think, .gif, although I'm not sure). As a rough rule of thumb, 64 pixels translate into 1 meter of Alice distance, at least for .jpeg files, so use caution if you try to import small images and then scale them up.

Once you have the image imported, it will appear as a texture option whenever you set a texture, so one billboard in a world can be used to display many different images. If you have access to the Herbert text, check out Tutorial 6D, pp. 176-179, for more information.

Old
SkyStrife

Default 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM

Ah i see so its just "Make Billboard..."

Thank you very much, this has helped me alot!