Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Bounce Ball
Old
arty-fishL

Talking Bounce Ball - 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM

Here we go x2495iiii (ha, it pasted the link too), this world utilises my mouse tracking engine v2, also my compass.

This is a game which is a bit like pong, but 3D, also kind of like curveball.

The objective of the game is to hit the ball with the pad so that it bounces off the walls as many times as possible. For every bounce off of anything you get one point added on to your score, if you miss the ball you lose a life and 3 points - you have 3 lives.

You are also being timed. Time increases as the game advances. Your time score, which is your final score in the end, is your score and the ammount of time its taken you to get that score put together in a formula (timescore = score - [time / 1.5]).
As the time goes up the speed of the ball also goes up.

If you hit the ball with the middle of the pad it will go forward, if you hit with the sides of the pad it will angle the ball.

Basically; make the ball bounce as much as possible, as fast as possible, wasting no time and dont miss it.

Your scores get added to a leaderboard of the top three on your computer and the leaderboard is displayed at game over.

This is still a work in progress and I know there are bugs (a game of this style has to have bugs), that is why it is a work in progress.

***UPDATE**0.1***
updating it already, but this is kind of a major update
  • moved all the walls so that they are at the edge of the screen
  • changed the speeds to fit the new playing size
  • added maximum speed to stop bugs when the speed is too fast
  • added error checking method (no super special coding in it yet)
  • stopped score from getting stuck
  • swapped time-score display and bounce-score display around
  • added time display
  • made it so the last ball in the lives display is a life (effectively I added another life)
  • tried to improve timing accuracy
  • made time freeze when ball is not in play (after a miss)
  • blanked out playing when mouse not calibrated properly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bounce ball.jpg (97.1 KB, 104 views)
Attached Files
File Type: a2w bounce ball.a2w (802.2 KB, 53 views)

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Last edited by arty-fishL; 08-07-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: update v0.1

Old
arty-fishL

Unhappy 08-08-2010, 05:14 AM

1 view, no replies?
Oh come on, this took a lot of work

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Srry
Old
debussybunny563

Red face Srry - 08-08-2010, 07:26 AM

That one view was me.

I'll review it soon in an edit. I believe I have yet to see the updated version though.

Edit: It's a very good program, though as you said there are still some strange bugs.
I find you can just leave your paddle in the middle of the screen with little worry that you'll miss, but it usually doesn't get you many points.
Also, I'd just think it'd be nice if it not only bounced horizontally, but vertically as well-a bit more challenging.

Nice work!

Last edited by debussybunny563; 08-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Actually I was probably the first view, I just never got a chance to try it. I'll do that now.

K Done.

Excellent work, arty! Looks and plays with professional quality, and the leaderboards were a nice touch as well. The ball got stuck in a corner at one point in the game, but it came out eventually so it wasn't a game breaker. All in all, great job!

I got 62 by the way. Yay me.

Nice!
Old
debussybunny563

Thumbs up Nice! - 08-08-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
Actually I was probably the first view, I just never got a chance to try it. I'll do that now.

K Done.

Excellent work, arty! Looks and plays with professional quality, and the leaderboards were a nice touch as well. The ball got stuck in a corner at one point in the game, but it came out eventually so it wasn't a game breaker. All in all, great job!

I got 62 by the way. Yay me.
Rlly? I got 62 as well! (on my third or fourth try, though. On my first, I think it was over 100, and on my second, I think it was just 2 or 4-epic fail)

It once got stuck behind the back wall as well, but hey, as long as isn't a critical error and the ball can come back into play, it's fine.

The leaderboards still work after you press restart, though I think it'd be nice if you could have a button on the leaderboard page that would allow you to directly replay the game, instead of clicking 'restart' itself.

I like the texture you have on the walls; very 'cyber'/electronic looking, instead of plain. Especially like the paddle.

Looking forward to the final version!

Edit:
Quote:
Well, it has 2 views now, so... not sure...

Last edited by debussybunny563; 08-08-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks. I like feedback whether its good or bad (its best when its a mix). I have made a newer version, but I dont want to publish it yet. I was planning on making it go vertically too, but not until I have sorted out all of the bugs going horizontally. The walls were surprisingly easy to create, just a green color, in a simple graphics editor then tile effect, then fragment effect. The back wall is still the most glitchy wall, the pad is also not perfect, but the side walls seem to work fine. The bounce angles took a while to work out. I somehow need to make collisions higher priority in the game than bouncing, so the ball doesnt disappear behind walls. The latest version has powerups, powerup balls appear that you need to hit. I also had to adjust every speed in the latest version as I just realised Ive had the world speed thingy on 0.49 or something, so time has been running at half speed which has probably been affecting everything. Is this post too long? Can anyone actually be bothered reading this far? Nobody probably can, so here's something random - "Pave Low Pilot: Roger - dropping the hatch - keep above 30 knots and watch the vertical clearance" - anybody get that? Im bored
super smiley!

Old
debussybunny563

Question 08-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
"Pave Low Pilot: Roger - dropping the hatch - keep above 30 knots and watch the vertical clearance"
Wut?

BTW, Pave Lows are awesome, and
Quote:
Can anyone actually be bothered reading this far?
I did read that far.

It's not that long of a post if you've seen mine on my FPS thread (they get long if I'm trying to explain something).

About having the world speed thingy on 0.49, I find it interesting to use as a slo-mo kind of thing for special effects.

I understand that you wouldn't want to release the new version yet.
I also like to sort out all the bugs before moving on... less work later.

Old
DensetsuNoKaboom

Default 08-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Wow...
That's all I can say...
Wow...

Thank you for taking the time to read this signature. This signature loves you.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 08-08-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
Wut?
No, not get where its from, its not that obvious at all and its quite random, but here's a clue - mw2, boats, river, shephard, chase
Quote:
BTW, Pave Lows are awesome, and I did read that far.
Yes they are, ive just been to see th A-team (the new movie), good bits with pavelows in it, plus I loved it anyway.
Quote:
It's not that long of a post if you've seen mine on my FPS thread (they get long if I'm trying to explain something).
Yeh, your posts can get quite long and plentiful
Quote:
About having the world speed thingy on 0.49, I find it interesting to use as a slo-mo kind of thing for special effects.
I understand completley, would be a nice idea, but it affects the timing and this can cause me bugs.
Quote:
I understand that you wouldn't want to release the new version yet.
I also like to sort out all the bugs before moving on... less work later.
exactly

Old
debussybunny563

Arrow 08-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
No, not get where its from, its not that obvious at all and its quite random, but here's a clue - mw2, boats, river, shephard, chase
I've only played through the entire ending once, so IDK.
Was a very cinematic and heart-thumping moment at the end, especially the final battle (was always thinkin'-who's gonna win, who's gonna win?)

Quote:
I understand completley, would be a nice idea, but it affects the timing and this can cause me bugs.
I have noticed that when you drag the speed up on the bar at the top of the window, it does screw up a lot of things. Luckily, the time I used it in my FPS (basically, whenever you killed the guy, he would die in slow motion and the camera would zoom in), nothing bad happened.

Quote:
Wow...
That's all I can say...
Wow...
Yeah, pretty cool, huh? Very nice game.

Tags
ball, bounce, compass, mouse, pong