Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Where's Bob?
Old
DrJim

Cool Where's Bob? - 11-08-2006, 11:28 PM

Think you must have gotten lost temporarily in the Doge Ambient looking for Bob.

For you and anyone else that got lost in my "comments" - just ignore them. They can be summarized quickly - the data files for Alice objects (and worlds) are either compressed (think .jpeg vs. .bmp file size differences) or in some cases strictly binary files that execute directly. Unless you know which is which - and use the files appropriately - they're pretty useless. The program that understands them the best is Alice - so the safest path is going through Alice!

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Default 11-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Go Bob!

Getting there....but not yet...
Old
ElderZ

Unhappy Getting there....but not yet... - 11-10-2006, 09:14 AM

Dr. Jim, you said.....

Quote:
Will start with a simple answer - for downloading from the web, Alice seems to do a good job of reading from the web gallery. What I do is just start a new world, access the web gallery (with dial-up this can be slow) and (1) add a copy of the object you want to the world and (2) save it to local disk. This will give you a local .a2c file for the object - then just move it (don’t modify it or unzip it) to the Gallery folder in the Required section of the Alice folder and, when you run Alice, it should then be listed in the Gallery like any other object.
Where you say "This will give you a local .a2c file for the object -" Okay,
I added a copy of the object from the web gallery that I wanted in my world and I saved the world to my local disk. Now,....where physically, is this local .a2c file that has the new image of the character or characters that I wanted to add?

Dr. Jim, you also said...
Quote:
If you want to just import the.a2c file into Alice from where you stored it, you again don't need to do anything special. Alice will take care of decompressing the file and will then use the data. Where I occasionally have trouble is in downloading the file directly and not going through Alice for that step
Okay, I have downloaded several of the new objects on a faster machine because I have dial-up at home (very slow), so I have all these * zip files * on a CD.
How do I let Alice know where they are? How do I give Alice access to them? Where do I physically put these files that I have on my Cd? I've tried putting them directly into C:\alice\required\gallery\{specific topic folder} and that didn't work. I've tried opening Alice hoping that ALICE could find them on the CD but Alice didn't like that either. So, I'm still looking for a way to do this...

Old
gabe
Administrator

Default 11-10-2006, 10:16 AM

.a2c (Alice object) files are basically .zip files. They are compressed containers that hold the data that Alice will read in as a 3D object. It is possible your browser misinterprets the a2c files as zip. Therefore, you will need to manually rename the files to have an extension of a2c.

chicken.zip becomes chicken.a2c

etc.

Try doing this to one file and move it into the \required\gallery and see if it shows up.

Yeah!!!
Old
ElderZ

Default Yeah!!! - 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM

Thank You, Thank You, Gabe.

That worked!!

Just in case
Old
DrJim

Smile Just in case - 11-10-2006, 05:42 PM

Sounds like you've already worked this out - but in answer to your first question - the file will be wherever you saved it. The window that opens up for the object save is just the normal Windows file window.